Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Question From Melafix to Bettafix?

Hello!
I've heard that Melafix(API) was 'recalled' from being toxic to bettas so i found bettafix by API(which is what i was recommended and was told is safe) and bought it today.
as seen in previous threads my male VT tail bites and i've been using melafix to heal it. i am going to start using the bettafix now but will it harm him to transfer his meds from melafix-bettafix? i'm curious cause i don't want to harm him from a change like that. v.v
thanks!!!

BL14
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #2 
nel3

Bettafix is the same as Melafix, its just a bit less concentrated. Bettafix will still do the same damage just over a longer periods of time as its less concentrated. its best if you avoid ____fix products all together.

if its just tail biting you can go with aquarium salt. its also antiseptic but cant be used for more than 10 days as they cant live in it 24/7. 1-3 tsp per gallon is the general limits per dosing, more salt is used for more serious situations. AQ salt can only do so much until you have to move onto real medicines. betta revive is another medicine wich isnt good for betta.

unscented Epsom salt deals with internal and can be used 24/7 if needed. if the fish is bloated ES will do ther trick if its just a simple fix. as before ES doesnt replace the real meds as equals but it does a good job of healing the fish without resorting to the real meds for smaller maladies.

Last edited by nel3; 01-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #3 
Myates

If it's just tailbiting then you don't need to do anything.. by adding in medication/salts you are more than likely stressing him and causing him to bite more.

Just keep the water clean and he should be fine - no need for salt unless he gets a bacteria infection on his fins. No need for BettaFix at all..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

Talking

wow thanks guys! yah i actually have been putting AQ salt in his tank like once every 2 weeks and havent really been using the melafix. I usually do 1 1/2 tsp of AQ salt for his 2.5gal... is that good? i hope it's not too much! should i be adding more than 1 1/2?

thanks for the help and advice btw u guys are awesome
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #5 
Myates

Should stop using AQ salt - over exposure can lead to kidney/liver failures.. these are fresh water fish and can only tolerate salt for so long before it can potentially harm them.. it's only recommended to use AQ salt with external health problems such as ich, fungus, velvet, etc. And even then it's only for 10-14 days max. Some even believe it slows down fin growth as well. Over exposure can also lead to resistant bacteria and parasites - if your fish does come down with fin rot or ich the salt won't be effective for treatment anymore and you will have to be forced to use harsh medications.

Best to just use clean water - do regular weekly water changes, add in a small one mid week if you are worried about bacteria entering into the damaged fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #6 
bettaluver14

got it!!!! so water changes and if he tail bites.... right when i notice it could i put a TINY bit of AQ salt in his tank just that one day and let nature do the rest or just leave it comepletely? it's so sad to see a shredded and ripped tail