Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #21 
okiemavis

Yeah, those aquarium kits are always a rip-off, which is why I put together a list of things to get yourself.

In the incandescent is a problem as it can heat your tank up a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see your water at 95 degrees on a warm day! Luckily you can take the bulb out and screw in a compact florescent (the curly kind). It'll be much cooler for your fish.

Also, you're still gonna need a heater...

Just fyi- walmart has an insanely good return policy, so you should be able to return the tank still if you want to.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #22 
StandingStonesArcher

Eh, next time I'm at Petco I'll look for a heater, and a different filter. I got my Betta today. Yeah I didn't really bother with that cycle thing other than running the filter for 24 hours but my brother managed to maintain four fish in an aquarium only slightly bigger than this one for two years without doing any special prep at all (until his algae sucker died, then they all started to die off.) I've really taken more steps than any of my other family members have in preparing a home for the fish, and I feel this is the best I can do with what I have.

He was quite frantic at first, but he seems to have calmed down a bit. He really seems to like this one corner of the aquarium behind the rock formation. I think the filter might be generating enough of a current to bother him though. He's been flaring his fins at his reflection too (or maybe he's flaring at various objects in my room.)

I'll post some pics in the photo thread so y'all can see him.
StandingStonesArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #23 
mischievouscat

Is the filter for your 2.5 mini-bow a Whisper? Long, black rectangle, hooks on the inside of the tank? I just got one o' those set-ups for my brother's betta fish, and he was bothered by the suction and the current. But with that Whisper filter, you can turn down the flow. Check for a small sliding bar on the lower back of the filter.

To reduce flaring try covering the back of the tank with a sheet of construction paper. Works as a backdrop, and eliminates a large area of reflection.
mischievouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #24 
StandingStonesArcher

Yep, it's a Whisper filter. Thanks for telling me where the flow control is! Now I can be a little less nervous when Alpha swims under there.
StandingStonesArcher is offline   Reply With Quote