Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #1 
Luimeril

which is best, and how to QT?

so, after buying two new chargers for my laptops, i'm left with about $5 and some change. decided i'd look on ebay for something for Hiccup(the big ear i'm adopting from a friend in GA) for his tank. . w. i love spoiling my boys and girls.

well, i found some Christmas Moss, and some Amazon Swords for about $4. i LOVED having Java moss, so i figured why not? let's try some live plants again.

but, i'm a derp when it comes to live plants. not only do i not know how to really.... do them. i don't know much about the different kinds of live plants. i know Amazon Swords are pretty popular with bettas, but what about Christmas moss?

and, how do i care for them? whichever one i get will be going into my 1.5 with Hiccup. i use glass rocks. can they grow with that, or would i need gravel? pretty sure i can get my fins on a small bag of gravel no issue if i need it.

i'm also trying to get some Java moss off another site. so, no matter which plant i end up getting, all will need to be QTed, since they're coming from strange tanks. so... how do i QT plants? i've heard of dipping them in things, but idk if i can DO that. i'm pretty sure just rinsing them with scalding water won't be good for them. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I just use a small container, with water in it.... Leave the plant in there. I had a java fern that was in a tank with my new girl who had columnaris (unknown to me, RIP), and it sat in a container for about a month in non-conditioned water straight from the tap xD Chlorine and all lol.

I believe moss latches onto just about anything it can. Your rocks would work just fine.
I have never had christmas moss... To me it seems to be the same as java moss. Maybe slightly different?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
Luimeril

aahh... i'm on well water. no chlorine in my water. 8U 's why i didn't use conditioner for a few years. :B

x: i'm not getting the christmas moss. it's $4 for a 2 inch x 2 inch wad. :I

it's similar to java, but looks and grows differently, apparently. . 3.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote