Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

In the market for a new tank

I am looking to replace my Hawkeye 3 gallon 360 aquarium. I am researching Fluval Spec, Aqueon and TopFin tanks. Is there any particular one's that I should avoid at all costs? Is there any particluar ones that stand out in design, warrenty and customer service?

My only requirements are 4 gallon MAX becuase my wife said so and a small footprint since it will be in the living room. We don't want something that is going to take up a lot of space.

All opinions and experiences welcome
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #2 
adcx64

Petsmart has a nice 2.5 Gallon tank on sale for 13.99 and it includes a glass hood. I plan on buying it in the next week. Its just a basic rectangular one, but it does the job and its cheap!
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Are you looking for an all-in-one aquarium, or just a plain aquarium that you can add equipment too?

I love the Mr Aqua range of aquariums. The glass gives excellent clarity, they are rimless, bevelled and although the silicone is not on par with ADA branded tanks it is still very minimal.

They are a very sleek looking tank and quite competitively priced for what they are.

They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you may be able to find one that suits your requirements.

http://mraqua.net/products/fraproduc...ess-aquariums/
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

I am looking for either one. I don't mind picking up what I need but if it has everything then that is fine too
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love my fluval, it's a chi though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #6 
BettaPirate

My friend gave me her 2.5 gallon Fluval spec and my little guy loves it! I love the light on it because it accents the betta's colors well. It is a bit small though but since mine was free I can't complain, hoping to upgrade to a larger tank but for now it's great. I have the 3 gallon 360 and I liked it until i realized how distorted the sides can be and that it is a lot taller than wide which Jack Sparrow doesn't seem to mind but I do, I like glass and rectangular I have decided.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Got the Fluval Spec V 5.6g which is on sale at Petco. The actual water in the tank is about 5.25g after the 1"Floramix and plants, leaving 1" space between water top and lid.

The filter out flow is fairly strong even at the lowest setting. I had to baffle it with a filter mesh bag. I lift my lid to feed Fred. So if you do that too, then be mindful that the LED lights can get in the way when you lift the lid too high. Otherwise, it is a nice looking tank IMO.

Oh, Fred can see me through the glass top cover when I play with him by having him follow my finger tip.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 
InfiniteGlory

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and suggestions. After spending about 1.5 hours with an associate about tanks I came home with the Marineland 4 Gallon Classic Starter Aquarium Kit. We opened up and compared the Fluval, Marineland and Aqueon tanks right on the floor. She was a great help and kinda cute too. So don't tell my wife I may have a Petsmart GF

I found the following with the other tanks;
some of the filters are a single unit that sits inside the tank and up on the back with suction cups. I like minimal stuff inside the tank since the heater is already large enough
one of the filters was part of the tank and reduced the capacity of the swimming area for the fish

Here are my thoughts on what I purchased
Marineland 4 Gallon Classic Starter Aquarium Kit
Pros;
HOB filter with BIO wheel. easily replacable if it dies since it is not built into tank
One power cord versus two
Slim top with LED lights

Cons;
Tank is acrylic versus glass. Not a big deal but glass would have been nicer
Plastic filter cover and lid are thin plastic. Would like it if it was a tad bit thicker
One power cord versus two. still enough room to run a second power cord out the back if needed