Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #21 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizja13 View Post
Lovely tank!!!

I love Java fern, I started with one in my planted 5.5...soon my other fish will have to adopt some they're growing so fast. Least it keeps algae levels down a bit :P I usually put the stringy roots under a small stone until it grows itself into the substrate...which in the 5.5 is a fertilized gravel I can never remember how to spell the name of...Flourite? Or is that for teeth >.>
thanks, and i think it is spelled right, floride is for your teeth lol
the only algae problem i ever have is darn hair algae which annoys me but is easy to remove.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #22 
Vizja13

Yeah, same here, now I've added the marimo

How did you paint the back? I've thought of doing a Galifrey scene on the tank I intend to give to my friend at the end of the summer (first it will be a fry tank, then she gets the tank and two fish xP). Both of us love Doctor Who.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #23 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizja13 View Post
Yeah, same here, now I've added the marimo

How did you paint the back? I've thought of doing a Galifrey scene on the tank I intend to give to my friend at the end of the summer (first it will be a fry tank, then she gets the tank and two fish xP). Both of us love Doctor Who.
i just followed other forums advice, clean he outside glass several times with vinegar, i used paper towels, and the final time i let it dry for an hour or so before i started to paint.

i used line art/ coloring book for spongebob, patrick, gary, and squidward, and taped it to the inside of the tank, so i could trace the outside with paint. I did everything else free hand.

i used acrylic craft paint, and it took several, layers/coats, to get the look i wanted. just make sure what ever you want to show the best is on the first layer, and you wait until each coat is dry before adding another coat. I maybe did 3-4 layers, and some touch up on the characters. I also used a sealer coat.

I have read that acrylic paint will scrape off glass with a razor, if you want to change it later.
Also if you paint the back of an acrylic tank you are pretty much stuck with it, once it is on there.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Looks great!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote