Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #131 
Twixies

Sorry for not replying for so long, would this be considered as bumping?

Anyways, I just wanted to share that my fishie just jumped for his food o.o it was stuck to my finger and he just jumped! He didn't get it though because the food hole is so small and I'm scared he might have hurt himself by bumping so hard against the tank roof D:

As to answer some questions, I think there was a short blackout or something because the thermometer is saying the tank is about 78-79 degrees right now, which is good, and it has been working for the past week, which means the heater is also working (:

[Edit]: Kitkat must love the Omega One fish food that I'm feeding him hahaha

Last edited by Twixies; 01-08-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #132 
AyalaCookiejar

I fed my blind fish with a skewer and he latched onto the skewer once and I pulled him out and he fell and landed on my other tank and then flipped back into the water. He's still fine and it didn't seem to stress him out any, but it can be a bit startling for us, haha!

I'm glad everything is going well :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #133 
DragonFish

Haha, I've had a couple jumpers.....I used to have lots of fun feeding them, but after one jumped out of his tank a couple times, and a few others end up jumping over dividers during feeding, which gave me a few good scares, I feed pretty quickly now so as to discourage jumping as much as possible.
Not that its at all bad if you're careful of course, it just freaks ME out now. xD

Great the hear that everything's going well of course though!! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #134 
Twixies

I leave about an inch or two of the tank unfilled because I heard that some betta fish can be jumpers, but I guess that doesn't really help since it seems like they can jump pretty high haha. I was trying to find out how long do betta fish "sleep", and of course I came upon this site haha, so I thought I might as well check this. My silly little Kitkat doesn't even sleep in his new plant, he mostly sleeps on the stones on the bottom or in his old plant, I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't like his new plant or something (now that I think about it, it's not really a new plant anymore since I've had it for a couple of weeks now), silly little fish haha.

[Edit]: When I say sleeping IN his old plant, I kind of mean it, he sleeps on the base underneath the leaves all snuggly looking haha.

Last edited by Twixies; 01-15-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #135 
AyalaCookiejar

My older guy sleeps behind the filter and my blind guy sleeps wherever he feels like lol. I'm pretty sure ATM my girls sleep in their silk plants since each of them are in one gallon QT tanks with one silk plant each. When I go up to the tank early in the morning I can't see them.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #136 
DragonFish

Bettas do jump, and they are quite good at it...its a trait that comes from their wild ancestors who in the dry season when the water evaporates from the rice paddies, leaving them in smaller areas of water(where is where the puddle myth came from), will jump though the smaller areas of water as the quality drops/they get smaller in order to find a larger, more favorable area to live.

Jumping can be a problem, I've lost a couple fish that way......but if you have a lid on the tank, no need to lower the water level....and if you have any largish open areas in the lid, you can just cover them by taping/hot gluing some craft mesh or taping some plastic saran wrap over it to help prevent jumping. If you don't have a lid and can't/don't plan on getting one then I'd suggest making one out of craft mesh with some saran wrap over it with a few holes poked in it to help keep in the humidity(its better for a betta to breath warmer, humid air from the surface)or just put some saran wrap over the tank and poke a couple holes in it over lowering the water level. Personally, I'm not a fan of lowering the water level, especially in smaller tanks....it just takes away room, and in a smaller tank you really want the most room you can get out of it IMO.

Haha, I very rarely catch my current boys sleeping....They seem to always be up when I go to bed, and are awake before I am. But the few I have been able to catch sleeping really just sleep in random places. Some hang around the top, some lay on the bottom, some sleep in or on their caves or plants...and they also tend to move though the night sometimes. They don't ever seem to just sleep in one place, from what I've seen. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #137 
Twixies

Kitkat just made his first bubble nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!! XD At first I thought maybe some soap or something accidentally got into the tank and scared me for a second there, but then I remmeber that they blow bubbles lol

As for a tank lid, I do have one, it has a hole in the back so I put a blue towel on top of it, there's still space for air to go in it, no worries, the lid is blue and with a blue towel, so it matches and won't confuse Kitkat I guess? If he can even see colors haha, but yea, I don't think he can jump out unless he can jump out side ways? As for lowering the water level, I don't really lower it too low, I'm going to leave about half an inch to an inch off just so I don't spill the water when I'm going up the stairs (I have to do 100% water changes downstairs because my parents don't want me to use the bathroom or the kitchen sink)

Oh gosh, what am I going to do when I change his water? I don't want to ruin his beautiful nest D:

Anyways, obviously, Kitkat is doing very well (: His flaring skills is still awesome (I just checked since I haven't seen him flare in a while) How's everybody doing? XD

[Edit]: Oh for Kitkat, I see him sleep quite a bit, but whenever I go close to the tank, he sees me and wakes up, so what I do now is I observe him sleep from afar, so he can't see me watching him haha (I feel like a stalker XD) I find it so cute when he's sleeping, so I enjoy moments like this when I do catch him sleeping (:

Last edited by Twixies; 01-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #138 
AyalaCookiejar

Im very glad he's doing good!
I remember when DaBaDee made his first bubblenest... I was so proud :) he likes to sleep behind the filter every single night. And I'm sure they see color... Many bettas hate certain colors, like red or purple... Someone on here had to get a special blue thermometer because their Betta doesn't like red at all xD they are so silly.

It sounds like you have one happy Betta. When you do a water change, it will probably break up the nest but I have found that they don't generally last too long anyways, which is sad :( bubblenests are some of the greatest things to wake up to :p
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #139 
chardzard

1 of my females jump out a week ago n got hurt really bad some bugs were flying pass the tank n she went at them but she doing fine nowall the bruses r heal so she can go back to the girl house soon , yup the r skill jumpers some of my guys dont like the betta deviders they keep jumpin out of them so only large jars work for the jumpers
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote