betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #51 
sandybottom
Reference Team

where in mn are you?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #52 
Roemgie

I am so incredibly sorry for your lose! I just lost my boy because he jumped and I feel horrible because I was getting ready to move him into a 5 gallon tank :( But I think he was ready to go because I kept his lid on tight and I cannot figure out how he jumped for the life of me!

Now I have to say this and I'm not being cruel at all. But your boy was very special I can tell, trust me I lost my first guy from lack of care and I haven't forgiven myself for it! But you must realize how selfish you are for saying you're giving up on them. I know how hard it is to loose a loved one, I have lost more than I want to count and it haunts me but those memories keep me going and help me continue to save all animals.

If you give up on them now all that love you have for him will be for nothing. He wouldn't want you giving up on his fellows, he would want you to continue to rescue as many as you can and show them the love you had for him. Imagine all of the bettas who will be without a home if you aren't there to help? The world is full of people who know nothing and care nothing about fish. Trust me I was clueless a year ago (still am but learning more and more) and now I'm getting ready to take on a new female (I just lost two from a strong flesh eating disease, I bought them knowing very well that they were sick, and within two days they were both in heaven. I had to throw away my tank and everything with it and trust me I was heart broken to lose both of them :( BUT my dream is to build a sorority tank of rescued females and I am going to do exactly that because I know that if I don't they may never find homes).

The bottom line is do NOT give up because you're giving up on all the bettas and every other fish that needs a home. Without you, we, the people who care for fish, will lose a valuable member and the fish will lose a great home and a someone with a lot of love to give.

A few years ago I was driving home and I was texting a picture of my friends horse to her when all of a sudden I saw a bird, she was jumping up to fly away just as I was coming and BAM I hit her. I was on a busy exit but I hit my brakes parked in the middle and ran to get her. She had survived the impact and I grabbed her before the major trucks came. On the way to the car she struggled to get out of my hand and then slowly closed her eyes and flew away to heaven. I could only sit there in the middle of a busy exit right off the HWY and cry. I brought her home and buried her. I am now dedicating my life to saving animals (ever since I could talk I have always wanted to be a vet and I'm finally going after my dream!). My point is, I've hurt animals and have had to live with the guild of it all. But I know that giving up with be an insult to them. I am not trying to be mean but I know when you just want to give up, trust me I lost my boy and then those two girls all in one week. The girls were almost expected because of their disease but my boy jumped and died that way. I will continue to keep bettas because I know that someone needs to show them the right way.

Please do not give up, you have got to keep on moving forward. Think about all the betas that need your help, don't give up on them!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #53 
Roemgie

Wow I'm sorry I got incredibly passionate in my post because I know that I've been going through some depression and knowing that I can actually save lives has really helped me get through a lot.

I am so sorry that you are having to move back with your parents, I also know how you feel. My mom doesn't want me having anymore fish because she's OCD and doesn't like the mess when I clean the tank (I only drop a little bit of water but I do clean it up!). I'm of course going to rescue hopefully a female this weekend and bring her back to college with me.

Of course my post probably didn't help with the mood and I honestly didn't see all the post until after I posted mine. I would say now to just try to help your parents understand but sometimes you really can't. My dad doesn't understand that my animals aren't 'just animals'. He keeps telling me 'it's just a fish' or 'he's just a horse'. But he doesn't understand how much I love my horse. I honestly tear up every time I think about losing Peter Pan and I know that when its his time (in 60 plus years :) ) I will not be able to function for a very long time. I really love him with all my heart and he has been there to help me through (even when he wanted to eat grass instead).

But I wish you luck and if you need anyone to talk to I'm here and listening :) I also do understand what you're going through to at least some degree and I honestly do not mind just listening (since I've been talking...a LOT)

Best of wishes
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #54 
LadyVictorian

Since my parents don't want me getting another fish my grandma said she would take me to pick out a betta soon. We figure my parents wouldn't notice as they don't pay attention to my tanks and since all my tanks are heavily decorated and planted they would likely never see and never know until i moved back out of the house. After all I keep reminding my parents I don't intend to be living with them long and I feel I can own any beast or creature I want since they won't be in their home come spring. Still even in Texas they called me and said "no more fish, you are wasting money on them." to which I just answered, "stop me if you can, I'm 22 and this is MY house."
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #55 
Option

If it makes you feel any better....I had a tragic (but stupid) loss of myself. I had finally found a perfect female mate for my boy Leon...took me months to find her. She was a perfect lavender/purple & white salamander female which I was intending on mating with my boy (pictured in the avatar). When I initially got her I struggled to get her to eat...she was only eating bloodworms (that junk food). After weeks and weeks of almost forcefeeding she FINALLY started eating betta flake food! I was like WOOHOOOO....went to bed happy that night.

Then the next morning I woke up and found her on the floor dried-up! (forgot to cover up my rimless tank that night) But DAMNNN I was so mad!!! Especially since I had just gotten her to eat flake food! AND she was a perfect find for Leon.

Now I'm on the search for another female salamander...hopefully w/o having to resort to crazy aquabid import prices.

Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #56 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
I drew this for you i hope it makes you feel better :)
After talking to my mom who has been wanting me to get a tattoo for years I am starting to think I finally have something worth putting on my skin forever. If it's okay with you could i get this as a tattoo?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #57 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Since my parents don't want me getting another fish my grandma said she would take me to pick out a betta soon. We figure my parents wouldn't notice as they don't pay attention to my tanks and since all my tanks are heavily decorated and planted they would likely never see and never know until i moved back out of the house. After all I keep reminding my parents I don't intend to be living with them long and I feel I can own any beast or creature I want since they won't be in their home come spring. Still even in Texas they called me and said "no more fish, you are wasting money on them." to which I just answered, "stop me if you can, I'm 22 and this is MY house."
Yea grandma! Sounds like mine. MUCH more understanding than my parents are and just an awesome woman all around
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #58 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
After talking to my mom who has been wanting me to get a tattoo for years I am starting to think I finally have something worth putting on my skin forever. If it's okay with you could i get this as a tattoo?
That REALLY makes me wish that I could see the pic! Any clue why I can't see it Em (eatsmice)?
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #59 
LadyVictorian

My grandma was the one who raised me since when my parents were married it was very 'unsafe' for a child to live in that sort of situation. I lived with my grandma until I was 12 after my parents got divorced. All we ever did was play outside, garden, talk about faeries, and save wild animals that needed help. Most of my life was bottle feeding baby bunnies and helping birds, field mice, just about anything recover from animal attacks. And I learned more than anything from her, the best part of saving wild animals isn't keeping them forever but watching them go free again and take to their home happy to be alive, given a second chance. She loves animals like I do and she understands how i feel about my fish and my frog, even my snails. She knows I only want what is best for them and if happy to help me when she can. When I was down on cash one year she even paid my $200 vet bill FOR MY MOUSE. She knew that mouse was special to me and paid the bill so Ophelia could get her medication she needed.

Can you see it now Blue?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #60 
efg321

Sorry for your loss, Hang in there! I remember having a similar situation as youngster still remember 35 yrs ago the loss of a favorite guppy to the dreaded vaccuum. I have since raised and cared for thousands of fish. It taught me a valuable lesson, not soon forgotten but has made me a better caregiver!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote