Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 
chanliteheart

happy in his 2 gallon?

Cobalt, our new male betta, was gifted to us unexpectedly. Caught off guard, I put him in a 2 gallon cookie jar from my kitchen. I got him a mini heater and a fake plant and he's been there for a little over a week. I considered it temporary - I bought him a proper 5.5 gallon tank, light, heater, filter, etc. And it's cycling now.

But today when I went to do his pwc - I found a bubble nest! Shocked he could be so happy in that tiny 2 gallon, swimming in his own filth, I tested his water: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrITE, nearly 0 nitrATE. Wha? (I did a 100% wc 3 days ago. And figured I was a day overdue on a pwc.)

I put in river stones & a coconut cave from our cycled 15 gallon the day I put him in there. I also added one of those bacterial supplements thinking it couldn't hurt him.

So, my 2 questions:
Is it possible the 2 gallon has a working biofilter??
Would you guys just leave him where he is or move him to the 5.5 gallon when it's done cycling?

Chan
chanliteheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #2 
Roemgie

I would have moved him to the 5.5 once you were sure it was cycled. They love a lot of space
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #3 
Bluewind

It's not like the move HAS to be permanant. Try the new digs for a day and if he likes his jar better, put him back! Just be ready and willing to do lots of pwc to keep it stable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
chanliteheart

holy thread-ressurection, batman!

Cobalt moved long ago. He actually has an entire 15 gallon to himself right now. We're considering tank mates for him. Maybe platies. I'm sure he'd be happy to keep the population down.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 
Bluewind

LMAO! I just now saw the OP date! I just replied to it because it popped up in the New Posts section. How on Earth did Roe find it!?! It must have been buried!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanliteheart View Post
holy thread-ressurection, batman!

Cobalt moved long ago. He actually has an entire 15 gallon to himself right now. We're considering tank mates for him. Maybe platies. I'm sure he'd be happy to keep the population down.
LOL I was going through the unanswered because I hate that feeling when no one answers and i really wanted some advice :P the funny thing is that right after I answer a ton of people follow 0_0

but I am very glad to hear he has a kingdom to himself :P I would say that you could possibly get cories or something like that but just be careful who you get since some could potentially harm him
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #7 
chanliteheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
LOL I was going through the unanswered because I hate that feeling when no one answers and i really wanted some advice :P
thanks, roe. that's very cool of you. it is a bit sad when you need help but no one knows the answer to your query.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #8 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanliteheart View Post
thanks, roe. that's very cool of you. it is a bit sad when you need help but no one knows the answer to your query.
You're very welcome :) and I defiantly agree! I just had a scare with a sick girl I tried to save and thankfully some helpful people came but it felt like forever!