Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #11 
CathrynFish
Member
 
CathrynFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I would always predissolve meds before adding to a tank. That way they distribute quickly and you don't have pocket of meds. This is especially important when they're tablets like this.

Just watch him carefully.. not much you can do. Whether or not he'll be okay depends on what the med is and how much he actually ingested. Ingesting some amount is okay.

I don't know of a Tetra med for fin rot.. you're not using life guard are you? Fungus Guard would work even though it's not actually labeled as such.

Are you treating in his main tank or QT?

Fin rot is almost always caused by water issues (unless it's being snagged on something or he's biting) so more info would help make sure this doesn't come back again: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oh yes you're right! It's is lifequard! Yeah I thought about predissolving after it happened... The reason he mainly got fin rot was indeed the water quality, i had to leave on a matter of urgency for 2 months and my mother took care of him (and the rest but they are all fine and healthy) and she doesnt know a thing about how to clean tanks but i did make her constantly do water changes, but I do not think that was good enough, the most probable cause of it. it's his main tank i'm treating the tablets are far too large for QT
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #12 
CathrynFish
Member
 
CathrynFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Is "Tetra Treatment" the full name of it? Or are you talking about Tetra Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment?

If it's Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment, the active ingredient is "HaloShield" -- which is also known as 1-chloro-2, 2, 5, 5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone.

The info that I found says it ingestion by HUMANS is unlikely to cause significant problems, "but consumption of large amounts may cause stomach upset and irritation." (source is here)

Tetra offers a support forum where you can ask questions about their products. Go here, then click the "Ask Tetra" tab. http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4243
Thanks! Yes it is LifeGuard All-In-One. thanks for the info! I'll be watching him carefully he seems to be doing fine as of tonight (16 hours after ingestion)
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #13 
CathrynFish
Member
 
CathrynFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Fin rot can also be caused from stress, which lowers the immune system therefore getting a result such as fin rot, or more severe cases and not excluding parasites. Not just from water quality.
Yes indeed. But there is nothing stressful about his environment and he's been doing just fine until recently i have to take a leave of absence for 2 months and left him with my mother(doesnt know how to clean tanks) but i made her do regular water changes but that definitely wasnt enough. His tank was still pretty filthy when i came back and did immediate cleaning then went out and bought some LifeGuard All-In-One and started treatment a day after I cleaned his tank. (16 hours after ingestion; he's seems fine, swimming around all happily but still watching him closely)
Also no external parasites that i can see, no bloating, no awkward swimming suggesting it could be internal parasites either
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #14 
CathrynFish
Member
 
CathrynFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
I apologize! I wish I could edit the post, but I am using Tetra Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment

16 hours after ingestion he is acting normally/happy we will see how he is in the morning
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
Well, that id good By then he would have shown some sort of symptoms.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #16 
CathrynFish
Member
 
CathrynFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Hey everyone, just an update couple days after this incident he is completely fine! acting like the little spazz that he is, and his fin rot is doing a little better :)
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
Great! :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, eat, harmful?, medicine, tetra

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best medicine for fin rot? kngiraffe Betta Fish Care 1 07-28-2011 07:44 PM
Best medicine for Fin rot? Emmalea Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 03-09-2011 06:37 PM
What is the best medicine? Welsh Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 11 07-22-2010 09:08 AM
Ich medicine Grimmjow Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 11-20-2009 05:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.