Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #1 
koolbetta

help with betta

well ive had a male betta for a couple of months he was given to me in a goldfish bowl or whatever you want to call it with no plants or rocks or any other decorations anyways it was really small so i bought him a 10 gallon fish tank and some plants and all that and I dont have a filter or heater and i have been reading that it is needed so what is the best filter and heater to get and how do you set the temperature on it ive read 78 degrees is best and also my fish is having trouble finding his food is my tank to big or does he just need to get used to it and what kind of fish can i put with him that are fairly easy to take care of thanks to anyone that answers any of my questions please help me and my fish
koolbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #2 
nav2008

filters are not necissary as long as you keep up with 50% water changes ( i change the water in 2 gallon tanks 50% every 4-5 days, im not sure but with a 10 gallon and 1 fish maybe every other week? dont quote me on that but it seems reasonable) but if you get a filter get a sponge filter, you can get them at anywhere from petstores to walmart. for 10 gallons a 25 or 50 watt heater set at 78 degrees would be best. and you would need a thermomiter type thing if it does not have one built in. (Silk or live plants only, plastic can tear their fins, and they dont need rocks on the bottom, thats up to you)
***they dont like strong currents so if its a really powerfull filter that creats a current dont get it***
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #3 
koolbetta

ok i will just change his water when it gets dirty since i dont think he will like a filter too much and yes my plants are silk but im still worried about him not finding his food is the tank too big and what kind of fish go well with bettas
Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #4 
nav2008

I dont keep tanks with anything but bettas but i have heard that tetras are very good tankmates alot of people use neons i think some people use ghost shrimp in tanks also.... Maybe just give him food right above him when he is near the surface? theres a post about tankmates somewhere on here.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #5 
koolbetta

that doesnt seem to be working he likes to stay at the bottom and he just goes up once in a while but even then he doesnt see it but i think the food is too small because there those little betta pebbles there small and round ive heard some people use betta pallets or flakes are those bigger so its easier to see them or is there any way to make the food easier to smell so he can find it and do you know any specific fish to put with him i think it might help because if he sees them eating he might realize theres food there
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #6 
koolbetta

or could it be the smell of the new tank and plants are covering up the smell of the food
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #7 
okiemavis

Bettas are really picky eaters *and* they often stop eating for a few days after they move, as they get stressed. I'd just give it a few days, and maybe try some other food like live brine shrimp- he'll love 'em!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #8 
koolbetta

thanks for the help everyone after a few days in his new tank he started eating and he's back to his normal diet
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #9 
Flashygrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbetta
ok i will just change his water when it gets dirty since i dont think he will like a filter too much and yes my plants are silk but im still worried about him not finding his food is the tank too big and what kind of fish go well with bettas
You'll want to go with 25% a week...

As for finding food, does he chase your finger around at all? When my betta's being dense about finding his food I touch the water with my fingertip where the food is and he comes up and grabs it and then I can feed him the rest with no problems (I don't put all 3 pellets in at once, he gets them one at a time).

Tankmates...if you have a sand substrate you can have 5-6 cory catfish, or you can have 4-6 rasboras or some tetras...no guppies and danios wouldn't be happy in that size tank.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #10 
koolbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
You'll want to go with 25% a week...

As for finding food, does he chase your finger around at all? When my betta's being dense about finding his food I touch the water with my fingertip where the food is and he comes up and grabs it and then I can feed him the rest with no problems (I don't put all 3 pellets in at once, he gets them one at a time).

Tankmates...if you have a sand substrate you can have 5-6 cory catfish, or you can have 4-6 rasboras or some tetras...no guppies and danios wouldn't be happy in that size tank.
well thanks for the info on water changes and tankmates that was helpful but my fish is eating again if he stops eating again i will try that