Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #681 
Chesh

HAHA! You read my mind, I was just about to post about my little friend when I saw this thread come up. Haven't heard anything for a minute :)

Somehow. . . I am not in the SLIGHTEST bit surprised that he'd have nothing to do with them, he's always been a super picky eater - surprising considering his. . . ahhhh. . . girth, lol! But it isn't the Massivore nuggets or nothing. . . if I recall, he was MORE than happy to nom on that real LIVE earthworm your dad dug up! LOL! What a silly fishy you have there.

Any more info on the prospective giant not-garage tank? I know the heat waves were a big issue over the summer, do you think that the colder temps will be a problem this season? Don't want any Sparkcicles !!!! :)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #682 
Sakura8

It was pouring rain and an earthworm tried to crawl in the house. I should've dumped it in the tank. Instead I tossed it back out in the rain. Ooops. Sorry, Sparky! I'll go find it again! *goes hunting earthworms*

I turned the Sparkster's heater up to, I think 84 F. That way, it keeps the water at 78 F. Plus, we put some styrofoam insulation on the back and sides of his tank and that seems to help. I'm not sure he likes it though. He liked being able to look out when I opened the garage door to do his water changes and now all he sees is a big white expanse. As for his giant big tank, hopefully soon! 4-5 months, I'd guess. I also feel bad because when I do water changes, the hose water is cold and drops the temp to 72 F. Thankfully Sparky is hardy! Normally a quick drop in temp like that would shock a fish. Maybe Sparky's personal electrical field wards off the cold?

Sparky also thinks he wants to handfeed. Now, when I go to drop his food in the tank, he swims up to my hand. I have to move pretty fast to keep him from trying to eat my fingers. Sorry, Spark but uh, I'd like to keep the record at 3 shocks.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #683 
Chesh

Ooooh! That makes me nervous! Do you. . . you don't think he. . . since the pellets come from the hand, do you think he has gottent the impression that YOU are made from pellets? Or, at the very least, a pellet dispenser?! O.o Maybe he just wants to snuggle? In a not electric way. I imagine it gets lonely being so very wise *nods*
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #684 
Sakura8

T_T I know I have short fat fingers but I didn't think they looked like pellets . . . maybe they look like baby swimming sausages to him and he wants to take care of them?

Aw, I wish I COULD snuggle with him. Just something about knowing you can't (or shouldn't) that makes you really want to tickle him.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #685 
Chesh

I haven't seen or heard of Sparky since last YEAR. I need my fix! Hope all is going well over there! SPARKY, I MISS YOU!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #686 
Sakura8

Sparky apologizes for not keeping up with his journal. He's just been so busy bobbing like a log that he lost track of time. It's mesmerizing, he says. Just bob up and down all day . . .

Well, not all day. Sparky has become much more active at night. He spends a lot of time swimming up near the top of his tank waiting for food and recently has decided he'd like try handfeeding. When I go to feed him there he is, nose right up at the top. o.O Last night, I thought I'd try at least dropping his pellets directly into his mouth. The tip of my fingers were in the water about 3 inches from his mouth and they tingled. Apparently Sparky thinks his pellets need a good zapping before they can be ingested.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #687 
Chesh

OH YAY!!! SPARKY RETURNS!!! I was really getting nervous, cuz' he was sickish, and seemed to be doing okay, and then. . . NOTHING!

Sounds like he's really doing well! Did you ever get him an inside tank, or is he still in his original home? LOL! You scare me with putting your fingers into that tank, girl! At least now we know he's a dirty rotten pellet zapper for next time! It's probably one of those things that's just so instinctive to his nature - zap THEN eat. . . wonder if he'll ever reach a point where he becomes tame enough to override that instinct. At least he LIKES you now! I need a video of the floating log trick, for sure ;) *ahem* sausage. . .

P.S. If you ever get another one, you should name it Bob. . .SPARKLEBOB, of course. . .
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #688 
Sakura8

One of these days, I shall take a video of me feeding him with my fingers in the water. He gets so excited about his food. He's gotten very good at catching the pellets before they even hit the bottom of the tank. Consequently, there's not a lot of food for the snails to scavenge on (okay, there's NO food) so some of his snail tankmates died. I'm now supplementing their diet with cucumber.

Sparklebob, I love it!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #689 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He's a well-evolved fish, he knows to cook his food first!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #690 
Chesh

. . .cept that it doesn't need cooking! Wonder how many vitamins and minerals he's destroying in every zap? Poor lil' girly snails! Sparky does like his dinner - and I'm ready for that video, just please don't get zapped for it! When's the next feeding? ;)