Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #491 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Are you talking to me or just in general? I am aware of the care requirements of bettas as I do keep and breed several species of them.

I've sucked probably every single one of my fish up a siphon or airline tube at least once in their life. None are the worse for wear. I don't do it on purpose but sometimes that's the only way I can pull fry out of a tank with minimal stress.
Just in general sorry for the Misunderstanding.
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #492 
LittleBettaFish

Ah no worries. I thought you mentioned the sucking thing because I think I posted on here about moving my fry using a turkey baster haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #493 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Ah no worries. I thought you mentioned the sucking thing because I think I posted on here about moving my fry using a turkey baster haha.
Well best thing to do if doing that is not to so much worry about injury but leaving some air within the tube agreeable?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #494 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole mccallister View Post
Well best thing to do if doing that is not to so much worry about injury but leaving some air within the tube agreeable?
When I had baby guppies I used to suck them up entirely with a pipet for transport to a new tank while I would clean there old ones
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #495 
babystarz

Actually when they're that size they typically haven't started using the labyrinth organ yet; it isn't fully developed until the second week for mouthbrooders, possibly longer for bubblenesters. I've just started to see my babies start coming up for air, they pretty much ignored the water surface before that :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #496 
LittleBettaFish

Rutilans fry are doing well. They are still only very small but I chucked in some blackworms and they scoffed them down. Have no idea how a fry eats a blackworm that is as big as it. Never had a fry choke from a blackworm because I think they break up quite easily.

Otherwise they have been getting grindals and twice weekly feedings of BBS.

About half of my palangkarensis fry are in a HOB breeders' box that has water pumped through it. The other half are in with mum and dad as their parents seem to be ignoring them. There are heaps of them, but if I can keep at least 15-20 alive to be moved into a proper grow-out I will be happy.

Unimaculata fry got moved into a 11 gallon tank, which will be their home now until they outgrow it. They are already outstripping my persephone in growth now, and to my rather crappy eye, they are looking like a majority are females.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #497 
babystarz

My small ocellata female released her first batch of eggs for the large male, so both males are holding now. Yesterday during feeding time both males followed the pellets down to the bottom of the tank but didn't swallow their eggs. They looked at me mournfully though :P

Here is the big male, he came right up to the camera to show off his eggs:

And I couldn't get a very good shot of my little blue guy, he was a bit more reticent:
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #498 
efg321

Babystarz.... Wondering if you happened to see this http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tas&1359343288 Got any boys for them?? haha since it seems your boys are occupied!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #499 
PitGurl

6 week old Guitar fry....
Attached Images

PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #500 
indrajit

so curious about the original bettas - thanks - what breeding can do to beautify a species - im reminded of what weve done to budgies
indrajit is offline   Reply With Quote