Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #11 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
The 5.5 gallon is perfect. Nothing is out of range. I think I may add him to that tank tonight. I just upped the heater in the 5.5 gallon to get it to 78 degrees which is what his 2.5 gallon is at. Then I will add some other compatible fish to his tank at a later date. Mickey (the betta) is back to his normal self. I think I caught everything early. Ive got lots of plants for him in the 5.5 gallon and lots of hiding spots. Theres a small algae eater in there but he does not bother anyone
I have to say that usually algae eaters get too big for 5.5 tanks (unless he's a small one of course). But from my experience it may be best to keep the 5.5 to himself (unless of course they do get along). I'm glad that he's doing a lot better! I know personally sometimes I get too excited and hurry up some processes sometimes so just make sure he's ready, of course, before adding him in. If you wait a day it wouldn't hurt him and you could also determine if he's past what ever made him ill or not. But let us know how he does :D
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #12 
Homer16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
I have to say that usually algae eaters get too big for 5.5 tanks (unless he's a small one of course). But from my experience it may be best to keep the 5.5 to himself (unless of course they do get along). I'm glad that he's doing a lot better! I know personally sometimes I get too excited and hurry up some processes sometimes so just make sure he's ready, of course, before adding him in. If you wait a day it wouldn't hurt him and you could also determine if he's past what ever made him ill or not. But let us know how he does :D
Hes a Gold algae eater. Hes 1.5 inches long and according to the store thats how big he will get. He doesnt bother other fish, never see him at the surface. If he gets bigger I have a larger tank where he can go :). Can I put a female betta in with my male?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #13 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Hes a Gold algae eater. Hes 1.5 inches long and according to the store thats how big he will get. He doesnt bother other fish, never see him at the surface. If he gets bigger I have a larger tank where he can go :). Can I put a female betta in with my male?
Ok that's good :) and you never want just one female because the male may beat up on her. I've heard you can put a male with two females but then they may gang on him. So personally I would say don't try it unless you want someone to get hurt. And if you wanted to try you'd want a tank 10 gallons or more so that they could have enough room and make plenty of hiding spaces. Also I know with female tanks you need 4 or more females, I wonder if you'd need that many females in order to add a male? And of course you'd need to add a male that would work well with the females
Posted via Mobile Device
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #14 
callistra

There are no "algae eaters" is he an otto or a cory or ...? That can live in something so small. They all need 10g + and should be kept in schools of minimum 3 but 6+ is more ideal.

What filter are you using? While the tank is cycling (which can take up to 2 months) you need to be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing a 50% change when it reaches as little as .25ppm. In addition to this, a weekly 50% with gravel vac or other gravel cleaning tool is needed. You'll see an ammonia spike first, then nitrite. Ammonia will fall to zero, followed by nitrites and then and only then is a once weekly change with vac ok.

Last edited by callistra; 01-18-2013 at 09:39 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #15 
Homer16

I am using a Top Fin 10 filter, I had to baffle it. I have no idea what type of algae eater it is. Its yellow and skinny
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote