Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #11 
Rosso1011

It may have been mentioned, it may not been have but please make sure you have a thermometer for the water changes. It's always good to have one anyway to monitor the temperature of the water that is in the aquarium. Mercury thermometers are the most accurate and they make it so you are not trying to play a guessing game when matching the new water temperature with the temperature of the existing water.

The mugs or cups should be fine if you just rinse them out with scalding hot water a couple of good times.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #12 
Laki

Oh the 76F temp will be fine for now. Better than low 60s. Maybe put his tank in a warm room or the bathroom (bettas love humidity) just to jack up the tempo by a couple degrees.
My 10w heater heated my 2.5g perfect but I think its wearing down now. The pre-set heaters wear out pretty quick. I like them for emergency use and really small tanks (it's currently heating my .5 assassin snail tank) but overall for a long term tank it is better to invest in a 25w adjustable.
I already give you a standing ovation for taking steps and getting a heater and rocks and stuff. Once your toes are in, this hobby only gets better :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

There are people that swear tanks as small as a gallon can and will be able to hold a cycle but I wouldn't bother with trying. Just do the 2 weekly water changes - one 100% with gravel cleaning and one 50%. Unless you want to go with all live plants. You can also cycle a tank that way but you need certain types of plants to do it right.

I can't tell from the pics but if he does have fin rot - clean, warm water is the best way to go.

I would add some more decor - like a few silk plants and a cave of some sort. I like to have an area with several oversied plants to make it like a forest for them to swim through and one plant that reaches the surface as they like to sleep resting on the leaves near the surface.

Things to keep on hand:
1) AQUARIUM SALT
2) PLAIN UNSCENTED EPSOM SALT
3) Antibacterial Medication - Furan 2 or Triple Sulfa or Kannaplex (most likely to find this one online)

Avoid Bettafix.

Those 3 things should be enough for almost any ailment your betta will encounter

Oh and welcome to the forum. I am almost postive the majority of us joined because we had no idea what we were doing
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #14 
IndeedSir

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll be going out as soon as the weather clears up to get and adjustable heater, plants, and the salts.

Also I wanted to update you guys on his condition. I transferred him to the new tank yesterday by floating his cup and putting the water in it slowly. When I actually put him in the tank, for several hours he seemed really freaked out and was swimming weird and everything, and wouldn't leave the surface. Today he has calmed down a lot and is back to swimming normal, but he still won't go deeper than about 2 inches for long, and to me it seems like when he tries to swim down he floats back up. I'm assuming this is just really stressful for him and that's what's making him weird, and that in a day or two he'll be swimming all around ok. Is that what you guys think? Just tell me if there's anything else you think I should do.
IndeedSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #15 
Laki

Hm... Bettas can swim up and down fine normally. It might be that he has not recognized his full limitations in the tank yet.. But if it looks like he is floating he might have some swim bladder issue.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #16 
IndeedSir

Just for some more info, yesterday he seemed to be tilted to his side a lot at the surface of the water and he looked like he was having a hard time staying upright. He's better from that stuff today, and I did see him go all the way down to the bottom once, it just looks like its a lot easier for him to go up than down, because he just kind of floats back up. Other than that he looks fine, acts normal, and eats normal.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #17 
Laki

It sounds to me like swim bladder. I have never personally experienced treatment for it but I know its 1tsp epsom salt per gallon premixed. This should help him. Even if he doesn't have swim bladder, epsom is okay to use at least for a trial (unlike aquarium salt)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #18 
bethyMT

He has gone through a lot in the past few days, so it may take him a bit of time to calm down and adjust, and any problems he might have will seem worse now as well. treat him for swim bladder and see how he does...the fact that he is eating is a great sign. If you have a light, keep it off as much as you can, to reduce stress. It took one of my guys a full week to adjust to a new tank.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #19 
IndeedSir

Thank you, Laki and Bethy! I think I agree with your diagnosis, as he is having trouble staying upright again. I'm gonna go get all the supplies he needs at the pet store asap and I'll start treating him after I change his water tomorrow. As for the lights, the room he's in now is pretty dark and quiet all the time so that should be alright, and he doesn't seem bothered or anything, he doesn't have stress stripes (as far as I can see) and he's even started blowing a few bubbles again. I'm hoping he'll be alright again soon, and thanks again for everything!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #20 
IndeedSir

Thumbs down

Also, can anyone give me any tips on how to use the epsom salt? I've heard he should be put in a little tank in the epsom salt bath and floated in his bigger tank, should I do that or just dissolve the salt and put it in the big tank, then change all the water every day? Sorry for all the questions...

More on his condition right now, he's a lot more lethargic than usual today, still floating on his side sometimes and staying at the top of the tank. I don't really know, but he might be slightly bloated.