Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #11 
sainthogan

Bubbles aren't necessarily a sign of health though, but a sign of breeding readiness. When I was much younger, my friend's sister had a Betta in an 8 oz cup with water so dirty you could barely see through it and it was still blowing bubbles.

However, increased activity is a good sign, unless it's very erratic and looks like he's scratching on things.

It looks like you've got a good temporary set-up. With what you have now, you'll need to completely change his water at least 3 times a week, you will need a water conditioner to remove the harmful chemicals in the tap water (it's not a good idea to use bottled water because sometimes it lacks the essentials needed for your fish). Scoop out any uneaten food so that it doesn't rot and cause your fish illness. Remember to reacclimate him to his new clean water slowly - never just dump him in - temperature and water parameter differences can throw him into shock. Keep an eye on his tails and fins, if they get clamped, or he changes color (such as begins to look gold), he's ill and needs medication and warm, clean water. Also, check that ferrari, if it's metal, it should be removed, metals like that can be harmful to fish (my uncle lost almost an entire tank of fish when his grandson dumped in a metal back to a pin)

But when you can, here's some things you'll need besides a bigger tank: Heater - Bettas are tropical, and need consistent temperatures between 76-82 degrees, a good quality pellet food - look for one that has very few fillers such as wheat and is mostly derived from fish protein sources (they are mostly carnivorous, but on occasion have been known to eat algae wafers that were fed to tank mates), thermometer to keep an eye on the water temp, treats - such as freeze-dried or frozen blood worms to vary the diet and offer something special (I feed mine freeze-dried blood worms after water changes).

And last but not least, beware of the "Betta Bug", it's extremely contagious. Bettas become very addictive, and once you realize how personable and unique they are you'll want more and pretty soon, you'll find that you too have been bitten by the "Betta Bug". ;D
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #12 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Good on the conditioner. As for the food it will do if he's eating it but when you can get some Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets they're better quality. A little more expensive but its a lot of food & will last a long time. Also feeding them frozen blood worms, brine shrimp & daphnia once or twice a week is good too. You can get freeze dried blood worms if you don't want to get frozen just soak them for a few minutes before feeding.
Where may I find the... uh.. "fresher" food? Is it expensive?
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

I believe New Life Spectrum can only be found at Petco, but I'm not sure on Omega One... I go to petco, usually.

I'd use pellets as the staple diet. Freeze dried bloodworms are like treats... They can even be found at walmart.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #14 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Bubbles aren't necessarily a sign of health though, but a sign of breeding readiness. When I was much younger, my friend's sister had a Betta in an 8 oz cup with water so dirty you could barely see through it and it was still blowing bubbles.

However, increased activity is a good sign, unless it's very erratic and looks like he's scratching on things.

It looks like you've got a good temporary set-up. With what you have now, you'll need to completely change his water at least 3 times a week, you will need a water conditioner to remove the harmful chemicals in the tap water (it's not a good idea to use bottled water because sometimes it lacks the essentials needed for your fish). Scoop out any uneaten food so that it doesn't rot and cause your fish illness. Remember to reacclimate him to his new clean water slowly - never just dump him in - temperature and water parameter differences can throw him into shock. Keep an eye on his tails and fins, if they get clamped, or he changes color (such as begins to look gold), he's ill and needs medication and warm, clean water. Also, check that ferrari, if it's metal, it should be removed, metals like that can be harmful to fish (my uncle lost almost an entire tank of fish when his grandson dumped in a metal back to a pin)

But when you can, here's some things you'll need besides a bigger tank: Heater - Bettas are tropical, and need consistent temperatures between 76-82 degrees, a good quality pellet food - look for one that has very few fillers such as wheat and is mostly derived from fish protein sources (they are mostly carnivorous, but on occasion have been known to eat algae wafers that were fed to tank mates), thermometer to keep an eye on the water temp, treats - such as freeze-dried or frozen blood worms to vary the diet and offer something special (I feed mine freeze-dried blood worms after water changes).

And last but not least, beware of the "Betta Bug", it's extremely contagious. Bettas become very addictive, and once you realize how personable and unique they are you'll want more and pretty soon, you'll find that you too have been bitten by the "Betta Bug". ;D
Thank you for the reply! Thankfully he's not ramming himself into things or acting like he's crazy, but he's actually SWIMMING now! <3
I added a bit of warm conditioned water to his tank earlier, just so he could get used to our tap water and so that hopefully his water wouldn't be too cold~ where his former owner was keeping him, it was dark and drafty. Is this a good idea? Adding warmer cups of conditioned water until Bo's ok with our water?
As to the other matter, I'm unsure about the car: I should remove it immediately?

P.S.- I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be getting the Betta Bug~ I admire Bo's spirit so much!

Last edited by Caii; 01-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #15 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I believe New Life Spectrum can only be found at Petco, but I'm not sure on Omega One... I go to petco, usually.

I'd use pellets as the staple diet. Freeze dried bloodworms are like treats... They can even be found at walmart.
Thank you very much! I'm making a list of key points and things I need thus far~ everyone's input truly is very helpful ^_^
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

I wouldn't add large amounts of water that is warmer than his current water. Actually, I'd let the conditioned water sit out and get to room temp since you don't have a thermometer... Temp fluctuations are stressful.

I can give you a pretty complete list of things to purchase (in order of most important first) and approximate costs of each, if you would like.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #17 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Thank you for the reply! Thankfully he's not ramming himself into things or acting like he's crazy, but he's actually SWIMMING now! <3
I added a bit of warm conditioned water to his tank earlier, just so he could get used to our tap water and so that hopefully his water wouldn't be too cold~ where his former owner was keeping him, it was dark and drafty. Is this a good idea? Adding warmer cups of conditioned water until Bo's ok with our water?
As to the other matter, I'm unsure about the car: I should remove it immediately?

P.S.- I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be getting the Betta Bug~ I admire Bo's spirit so much!

I would try to keep the cups of water at a consistent temperature. If you want him to adapt to the temperature of the room until you can get a bigger tank with a heater, you'll want to let the water gradually reach room temperature, rather than continually adding warmer water. It's very hard to keep the temperature consistent that way and that could cause him unnecessary stress.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #18 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I wouldn't add large amounts of water that is warmer than his current water. Actually, I'd let the conditioned water sit out and get to room temp since you don't have a thermometer... Temp fluctuations are stressful.

I can give you a pretty complete list of things to purchase (in order of most important first) and approximate costs of each, if you would like.
That would be insanely helpful~ though I have no money, I would truly like to know what I should be looking for! Hopefully I can persuade my mom to help me with the more necessary items ^^'
Thank you!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #19 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I would try to keep the cups of water at a consistent temperature. If you want him to adapt to the temperature of the room until you can get a bigger tank with a heater, you'll want to let the water gradually reach room temperature, rather than continually adding warmer water. It's very hard to keep the temperature consistent that way and that could cause him unnecessary stress.
Ah, I see... what if my house temperature is chilly, though? My room used to be the garage, so there's little to no insulation and it can get pretty cold in here (though it's- oddly enough- one of the warmer rooms in the house...) If the water becomes too cold... what should I do then, until I can get a heater or something?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Good on you! The world needs more people like you. Thermometers are not mice, but I know what being a student is like. Just try to keep it stable and we would love some close up shots of Bo!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, caii, rescue