Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #11 
InfiniteGlory

Callistra
I went and left my nubmers at home and remember the nitRATES being either 10 or 20 ppm. Some of the colors on my card are so darn close I can't really tell. I atleast know it indicated there was more than 5ppm of nitRATES. I don't remember any more and don't want to guess and post the wrong numbers.

So I was thinking it would probably be best not to use the charcoal unless I have to and just use a sponge type material in the filter housing in its place.

LittleBlueFishlets
Yes, I read the directions everytime I use the kit just to make sure I am doing the right thing. I also use a kitchen timer so that I know that I am shaking for the correct time. One thing though, my instructions tell me to shake the #2 bottle for only 30 seconds. My kit is good until 10/2017 so my kit is relatively new from the company. I will double check the number tonight after work
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #12 
callistra

I believe in the Tetra Whisper 3i there is one bio bag cartridge for running that filter..I think carbon is included There are no options for running a sponge in that, as it appears on documentation online and another user who owns one told me there's no other cartridge or sponge included:
http://www.petco.com/product/12460/T...er=51515435155 Which means you really have no choice with that filter.

IMHO, it makes it a subpar filter because every time you replace the cartridge (which you HAVE to regularly because of the carbon) you remove all the bb and restart your cycle. It's a problem you can't avoid with the way the filter is made, unless you rig it somehow with an extra sponge and I'm not really sure how you can.. there's no room for one.. There should be at least 2 mediums to very good filter and one should be a sponge.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #13 
InfiniteGlory

well change of plans. I picked up a Marineland 4 Gallon Classic Starter Aquarium Kit from petsmart. It has a HOB filter with a charcoal insert and a BIO wheel. I also picked up another filter (API NITRA ZORB) to help lower the ammonia, nitRITEs and nitRATEs. It says it helps remove all the stuff I am trying to lower and I can put it in with the charcoal filter still in place. So I am going to start a fishless cycle while my betta is in his hospital tank recovering from the fin rot. I will see how the tank and bio wheel do before using the secondary filter.

I got my numbers from my tap on 15-Jan-13. sorry for the range of numbers the colors are so close on my card I put them down. should I switch to spring or filtered water for my tank since my tap is so high?
pH 7.2
high pH 7.4
Ammonia 1-2ppm
NitRITE 0
NitRATE 5-20ppm
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #14 
callistra

Personally I would be nervous to use your tap for my fish, but others might disagree. Once you get the tank fully cycled (which can take up to 2 months) the ammonia won't be an issue and you can keep the nitrates down so that may be the best way to go as long as he's doing ok. Once you start using bottled RO water it gets really really complicated and you have to invest in gh, kh and ph test kits as well as something like Equilibrium or RO right to remineralize it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #15 
InfiniteGlory

well...I was hoping there was a way to filter my tap so that I have less work on my hands. I guess I will stick with cycling my tank.....
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #16 
callistra

The only way to remove ammonia from water is by cycling a tank and letting the bacteria convert it to nitrates.. and there's no way to remove nitrates. Sorry :( There are chemicals which make it less harmful for a short time, but once they wear off you're left with the same - Prime and AmQuel+
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #17 
InfiniteGlory

yeah, that was more of a rhetorical question than anything since I can't find my magic wand to make the water ideal for Glory II