Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Filter almost kill 2 bettas. What to do?

I came home today to find 2 crowntails from my sorority stuck to the filter, I quickly turned off and save them. Filter is a Marineland penguin 350 and honestly I've been meaning to replace it because the current is to strong and my bettas have a hard time swimming around it, I don't want to baffle it nor do I want to put anything on the intake. I need suggestions of a good filter for my 55 gallon. I don't want a canister filter I rather have a good HOB. Is there something that doesn't produce such a strong current and safer for my fish than the penguin 350?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #2 
callistra

Use a prefilter sponge on the intake:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...efilter+sponge

If you want to repalce the filter you'll have to seed a new filter media in the tank for a month before removing your old filter or you'll restart your cycle.

I like my Aquaclear 20 in my 10G (I have it prefiltered and baffled with sponges only) so maybe an Aquclear 50 or even 70 in that.

Last edited by callistra; 01-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Wouldn't the sponge on the intake stop the dirt from going inside the filter?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

I have an Eheim filter and love it...it's a canister but my girls don't have a problem with it at all, and you can adjust the outflow.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
MrRomero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Wouldn't the sponge on the intake stop the dirt from going inside the filter?
I don't understand. Are you saying that you want dirt going into the filter?
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
I don't understand. Are you saying that you want dirt going into the filter?
That is the purpose of the filter having an intake. That is what the filter cartridge is there for, to trap all the dirt, but please correct me if an wrong.
I was thinking about using 4 aquatech 5-15 but I don't know if that would keep my tank clean.

Last edited by ILLBETHEJUDGE; 01-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 
MrRomero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
That is the purpose of the filter having an intake. That is what the filter cartridge is there for, to trap all the dirt, but please correct me if an wrong.
I was thinking about using 4 aquatech 5-15 but I don't know if that would keep my tank clean.
I understand what your saying now but I wouldn't exactly use the term dirt. There shouldn't be any dirt floating randomly throughout your tank, that would clog up the filter in no time (not too mention stress out the fish and potentially harm their gills). I think a different way of putting it would be that the filter sucks up small particles and traps them whether they be plant matter, fish waste, uneaten food, or particles of dust. The charcoal (if used) absorbs chemical impurities.

Pre-filters are great. They trap particles and waste while also housing beneficial bacteria. The fact that they trap stuff before it goes into the filter cartridge is actually a good thing because it extends the life of your filter cartridge and filter media by reducing the time in which it takes to clog. Which leaves the charcoal and beneficial bacteria in the cartridge to do their job better and longer.

Just clean your pre-filter every so often by using a cup or a net to trap the particles stuck to it and gently sliding it off of the intake tube. Then just set it in a tub or bucket of water from the tank (to retain the beneficial bacteria) and give it a few squeezes and rub larger particles off of it. Then slide it back on and your done.

Personally I am partial to sponge filters. Look into this if you want, they have sizes to 55 gallons and larger while being safe for the delicate fins of a betta. They creat little to no current at all and the bubble can be entertaining to both you and your fish. http://www.atisponge.com/hydro-sponge/

Last edited by MrRomero; 01-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #8 
callistra

Larger particles will get trapped in/on the sponge and the bigger ones will go on through. Actually, it also keeps your filter cleaner, and increases your biological filtration by giving bb an extra place to grow. It doesn't hurt your tank.I just rinse mine out in the bucket of old water when I clean the tank weekly. It's not an issue.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #9 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Would the hydro-sponge filter keep my tank clean?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #10 
callistra

That's not going to trap particles like the hob filter would. That's only biological filtration. It's not bad but it's not what you're used to.