Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #21 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am so glad that you cared enough to rescue Bo Bettas have feelings too... I don't understand why people would go to the trouble to buy a betta and then decide that they don't care if they die

A thermometer probably isn't your main priority right now as if you have no way of heating the tank knowing that he is cold isn't really going to help..... just save all you can for a heater......maybe you could find a cheap one online, just make sure it has a thermostat.

That water changing routine that you mention should be just fine.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #22 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Good on you! The world needs more people like you. Thermometers are not mice, but I know what being a student is like. Just try to keep it stable and we would love some close up shots of Bo!
Thank you for your response, your understanding, and your input! I've never really tried to take a picture of a fish before, but I'd really love to see his coloring! He's got distinguishable purple, blue, and orange! I don't know what kind of Betta he is, though... could you possibly tell from the photo?
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #23 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hey there,

I am so glad that you cared enough to rescue Bo Bettas have feelings too... I don't understand why people would go to the trouble to buy a betta and then decide that they don't care if they die

A thermometer probably isn't your main priority right now as if you have no way of heating the tank knowing that he is cold isn't really going to help..... just save all you can for a heater......maybe you could find a cheap one online, just make sure it has a thermostat.

That water changing routine that you mention should be just fine.
From what I've gathered just reading around the site and in doing Betta research for Bo, I'm sad to say that a lot of people- myself included- had or have a lot of misconceptions about Betta fish care; this perpetuates bad myths that lead to bad habits. If I hadn't started trying to be informed or met you guys, I would have never known about the importance of temperature or tank size or conditioning... I'm very glad I did, though, and I'm certain that Bo will be happier in the long run too ^_^

Thank you for caring as much as I do!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #24 
osromatra

Yikes! How could someone treat a defenseless animal that way! what a blessing for Bo that you rescued him though!

For cheap stuff, maybe get on craigslist or put a cheap classified in the paper and see if someone can give you thermometer/heater/larger space for cheap or free.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #25 
BettaPirate

I agree with everyone else, good for you! Also craigslist is great, I found a bunch of tanks for cheap in my area, unfortunately they were all gone by the time I responded to the ads. I would say focus on water quality and temp for now and a bigger tank second.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #26 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by osromatra View Post
Yikes! How could someone treat a defenseless animal that way! what a blessing for Bo that you rescued him though!

For cheap stuff, maybe get on craigslist or put a cheap classified in the paper and see if someone can give you thermometer/heater/larger space for cheap or free.
Thank you for the thought! I've been searching CL and I'm going to post an ad for fish supplies in the morning~ wish me luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #27 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
I agree with everyone else, good for you! Also craigslist is great, I found a bunch of tanks for cheap in my area, unfortunately they were all gone by the time I responded to the ads. I would say focus on water quality and temp for now and a bigger tank second.
Thank you for responding! I definitively agree that temperature is my main concern right now since my house is really chilly @_@
Hopefully tomorrow I can go get a thermometer and other necessities!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #28 
Tikibirds

If you have a paypal account - search on ebay for stuff. Some sellers are in china but offer free shipping on decor. Amazon as well.

If funds are low and you want to upgrade him into something bigger so you can get a heater - go to walmart or where ever and look at the storage bins. Not the most attractive thing to have on display but the fish won't care. You should be able to find one that's between 2-5 gallons that will be uner or about $5. And a heater will not melt the plastic Upgrade to an actual tank when you can afford it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #29 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
If you have a paypal account - search on ebay for stuff. Some sellers are in china but offer free shipping on decor. Amazon as well.

If funds are low and you want to upgrade him into something bigger so you can get a heater - go to walmart or where ever and look at the storage bins. Not the most attractive thing to have on display but the fish won't care. You should be able to find one that's between 2-5 gallons that will be uner or about $5. And a heater will not melt the plastic Upgrade to an actual tank when you can afford it.
Thank you for the response and the cool ideas! I'm currently looking at thermometers, so maybe I can find one I can stick!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #30 
SpeakNow13

Horray! Im so glad you saved him! High five! I kept my fishy warm with a heating pad until I could get a heater once. Wasn't a permanent solution but helped for a bit :)
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, caii, rescue