Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #41 
Sena Hansler

Epsom and aquarium salt can be used at the same time, I have been recommended that by some of the top breeders and long-time fish hobbyists here... It looks to be external... However the salts won't do anything at this point. Right now it is literally... The best meds you can get ASAP. Monday might be too late. I have to agree with Callistra on that.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #42 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Epsom and aquarium salt can be used at the same time, I have been recommended that by some of the top breeders and long-time fish hobbyists here... It looks to be external... However the salts won't do anything at this point. Right now it is literally... The best meds you can get ASAP. Monday might be too late. I have to agree with Callistra on that.
Well I'm sure glad I decided to post an update. Wish I knew it wasn't just a color change earlier so I could have gotten the meds sooner. Can bettas get infections and still not have a change in character?

I can make a trip out tomorrow (Saturday) and hopefully find the right meds and begin dosing them ASAP. What exactly should I be looking for?
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #43 
callistra

He's not acting normal. He's extremely clamped and the way he's holding his body in that picture is not ok either.

Look for the meds I listed before. Or if you can't find them the jungle fungus cure could help
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #44 
Sena Hansler

I've had some sick ones... Like... DROPSY sick, and they act perfectly fine which is the silliest thing Though, since your fella is clamped he is definitely saying "I'm sick!" Some bettas do hold off until it progresses...
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #45 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He's not acting normal. He's extremely clamped and the way he's holding his body in that picture is not ok either.

Look for the meds I listed before. Or if you can't find them the jungle fungus cure could help
Will get those and hopefully starting dosing within 24 hours then. What exactly are "clamped fins?" I thought it was when the fins sat abnormally close to the body. He looked distorted in the picture due to the glass on the QT bowl he's in.

I took this video to help you all get a better idea of what we're dealing with:

http://tinypic.com/r/n71c8z/6
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #46 
Sena Hansler

Clamped fins... Here is a picture. See how the female holds her caudal "stuck together". Compare that to the second picture, which is her sister. Extreme cases, is the last picture of Lucille... A bad petsmart buy. That is another example of clamped fins... Kira (first picture) doesn't quite hold her fins against her body, as much as Lucille does.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #47 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Keep the epsom salt.

You don't have any medications locally?

General cure won't touch that. That's really a parasite med.

The Fungus clear has a chance. My personal first choice is Kanaplex and second Maracyn Plus
Good news, the store that's about a 15 minute walk away that opens at 11 has Maracyn Plus in stock. Should be able to begin dosing by this afternoon!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #48 
AcrimoniousArbiter

I was reading about the dosing for Maracyn Plus, and it says to treat 2 tsp per 10 gallons on day 1, 3, and 5. I was going to use the 1 gallon QT tank with .2 tsp (about 1 mL) to treat him. Since it says to only treat him every other day, what should I do about the daily water changes?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #49 
callistra

You can do daily 100% changes with a full redose. That works fine. I would not use the cap as a measurement. Use some other ml tool. I have found the cap to be a really inaccurate measure. 1 ml per gallon is correct dosage.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #50 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
You can do daily 100% changes with a full redose. That works fine. I would not use the cap as a measurement. Use some other ml tool. I have found the cap to be a really inaccurate measure. 1 ml per gallon is correct dosage.
Just got back, the maracyn plus they had was 2 years expired. I got Maracyn and Maracyn II though. I have a mL syringe to use so I should be able to accurately dose it. Which one do you think I should use and any tips on dosing it?

Tags
coloration, fleshy, pink, spot