Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #1 
AlphaBetta1

ADF Mysterious Death

This thread is a about an ADF, not a Betta.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? (It's actually an African Dwarf Frog.) 3 Peppered Cory Catfish, 2 other ADFs, and 5 neon tetra.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every two days.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No physical change.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Every time my frog would move, he would dart around and flip over u to his back and the. Back onto his stomach, all while darting around.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The day before he died.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he was never ill since I had him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

I know this is not a lot to go on, but has anyone else's frog done anything like this? Is it possible he drowned?
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Question, how long did you have him?

My frog was acting oddly, not like yours but he was trying to escape the water and climb out of his tank, he also acted like he couldn't breath so I looked it up and he had a fungal infection he had come home with from the pet store. I treated by overheating him to kill the fungus one day then went on a 7 day aquarium salt and fungal medication. I really felt I was fighting a losing battle but he recovered.

If you only had him around 4 months he may have had what my baby had which is almost impossible to treat if not caught early on like with my frog.It's called cystrid fungus and is carried by African Clawed Frogs who are not harmed by the fungus but it is lethal to just about every other frog. It can take a while for the fungus to finally take full control and has been known to take about 4 months before it starts killing a frog. It's hard to cure and if not caught right away it can't be cured.

One of the signs does relate to difficulty breathing or related behavior such as climbing out of the water. They assume it's because the frog can't breath or that the fungus on their skin is very painful and they are trying to escape it thinking the water or what have you is the cause. I'm sorry for the lose of your frog, if this is what it was and at the level he was at there was nothing you could have done without catching it early and treating it. The best way to avoid it in the future is either getting frogs from breeders or purchasing them from stores that don't sell other frog species, ESPECIALLY African Clawed Frogs.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #3 
AlphaBetta1

I had the frog for only about two months, I don't think that was it, but it is always a possibility. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

If the water was warm enough it could have sped up the fungus, which is why people tend to qt frogs in warm water for 3 months. I qt in 80 degrees so if they have it then it shows up faster and I can either treat or put the frog down depending on how healthy the frog is and chance of survival. If that wasn't it either did you have anything heavy in your tank that could have fallen on him? Thinking back my friends adf acted like that rolling when he moved after he dropped a heavy statue on him, but he died almost right after the incident.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #5 
AlphaBetta1

The tank was 78, so I don't know if that was it. Everything I have in my aquarium is flat on the ground so I don't see anything that could have fallen on him.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #6 
callistra

Blood worms are not an okay staple food. They are like feeding candy or potato chips. You can supplement a worm a week instead of a normal feed for a treat, or as a combination of many live foods but should not be fed exclusively.

I've read HBH frog and tadpoles are a good staple diet for them. Some people break up Reptomin.

ADFs are more sensitive to ammonia than a betta will be. Have you checked your levels and made sure your cycle was set? You're using a siphon to clean the gravel along with the weekly changes too right?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A lot of frogs will never touch pellets and your only option with them is frozen.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote