Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #1 
eatmice2010

petsmart fish

I went to petsmart yesterday and saw some male HM bettas but no female HM. So I decided to look at the males and I seen one that had small fins like a girl. I didn't take I pic, my mom was trying to pry me away from them and then told me I couldn't get one, but she didn't no I had my fish stuff with me. So now I'm allowed to get one now and I want that cute fish. She/he was pale white with a pale turquoise tint to her/he white color. So my question is: what ways can I tell The difference between male and females besides fins and female spots on her stomach.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #2 
Fabian

The males beard will be visible.A male will also have a slope on the head while the females will be smooth.
Post a pic so it will be more accurate.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 
Myates

Fins aren't the way to tell sexes, as male plakats have short fins. What did the container say?

Egg spot can sometimes tell - but young males can have them too. Basically the beard - longer are males, shorter are females.
The ventrals (those two "feelers" by their stomach) - males have longer ones (goes from halfway down their body to their tail), females have stubby ones.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #4 
eatmice2010

The cups just said HM bettas
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #5 
Fin Fancier

Is it just me, or does it seem like petsmart sells halmoon bettas that are younger than the rest of their males? Their dragonscales, crowntails, and veilteils always seem to be much larger than they are. I've seen a few half moons with very short tails, and much shorter bodies, but the finnage was always long enough to assume it was a male, probably just a very young one.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Fancier View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like petsmart sells halmoon bettas that are younger than the rest of their males? Their dragonscales, crowntails, and veilteils always seem to be much larger than they are. I've seen a few half moons with very short tails, and much shorter bodies, but the finnage was always long enough to assume it was a male, probably just a very young one.
probably because HM's are much more prone to fin biting, and therefore much harder to keep in "selling shape" in those cups long term.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote