Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #11 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
his color should return once you et on a routine cleaning schedule and he becomes less stressed. Are you using a water conditioner when doing water changes?
yes i have the water conditioner and thank you i hope you're right !
ilikefishyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #12 
ilikefishyys

Name:  Screen shot 2013-01-19 at 7.40.42 PM.png
Views: 73
Size:  195.4 KB this is him i know he looks awful and i feel so completely terrible but i just cleaned the tank like i cleaned every speck of it and hopefully he will get better if anyone has suggestions, please feel free to suggest !
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #13 
ilikefishyys

ik he looks bad i feel like a horrible fish mommy :(
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #14 
callistra

You have a marineland crescent 5 gallon with internal whisper filter? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372

What kind of media is in there? Do you have a sponge and a bag, multiple bags or just a single bag? How often do you replace the media? How often do you rinse it?

Does he look like he's fighting the current? I am concerned his back looks so arched.. and I can't tell if he's belly is extended or not..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #15 
gbose

IlikeFishyys,

I'd do routine water changes, adding warm (78-80F) water. I don't like 100% changes,as you have to remove the fish, which is stressful. I personally siphon out everything but the last inch of water, so the fish has something to swim in, and then immediately add fresh water.

Don't clean the gravel and sided too much -- you could be destroying your beneficial bacteria. Clean just the sides and then the gravel maybe every few months.

Good luck!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #16 
sainthogan

With a filter, you don't need to do 100% water changes that often. 50% once a week is fine, then you don't need to take him out. There's a link at the top of this forum by oldfishlady that is a great resource on water changes, how often and how much you should do.
Also, with that type of filter, you need to make sure the water is up to the lip of the flow, otherwise, the water flow in the tank will be too much for him. If it's right up to the lip of the filter, the surface water should be virtually still.
And as the previous poster stated, cleaning every inch of the tank is actually more harmful than good, because it can remove all the beneficial stuff that is helping your fish survive. When you remove all of it, your fish has to re-adapt to completely different water parameters, and that can be extremely stressful.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #17 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You have a marineland crescent 5 gallon with internal whisper filter? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372

What kind of media is in there? Do you have a sponge and a bag, multiple bags or just a single bag? How often do you replace the media? How often do you rinse it?

Does he look like he's fighting the current? I am concerned his back looks so arched.. and I can't tell if he's belly is extended or not..
what do you mean by "media"? and also i've heard you're supposed to put a sponge behind the filter but i'm not really sure like how or when do that..also i rinse the filter every week and sometimes it has like red stuff on it and greenish brown..is that normal?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #18 
ilikefishyys

also, i didn't know that! so should I do a 50% change once a week instead and then a full 100% clean every few months? the only thing is, if i wait too long to do the 100% clean than everything gets gross....and algaed sometimes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Do you rinse the filter media in old tank water or treated water? The filter media is like the cartridge in the filter that is removable. It usually gets pretty yucky, which is generally good, but I'm not sure about red stuff growing on it.. You shouldn't rinse it in straight tap water as unconditioned water will kill the good bacteria that grows on it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #20 
AyalaCookiejar

With a filter you don't do 100%s because of that good bacteria, because it also grows on the gravel and ornaments. How long do you leave the lights on?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote