Betta Fish Forum banner

Done with Betta

6K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  Hadoken Kitty 
#1 ·
I want to know who wants my other two fish right now because I am giving them away.

I am done with betta fish for good, today while cleaning out my tank the gravel vac sucked up my first and most loved fish Aquarius and now he's gone. I can't deal with this anymore, I want to know who in MN wants these fish, I also have an adf and two snails, tanks come with all.

I can't even look at them after i know I murdered the one fish I loved the most, the one who was special to me, I can't even look at them without gagging and hatting myself. I am so done with fish, with everything.

#54 ·
Since my parents don't want me getting another fish my grandma said she would take me to pick out a betta soon. We figure my parents wouldn't notice as they don't pay attention to my tanks and since all my tanks are heavily decorated and planted they would likely never see and never know until i moved back out of the house. After all I keep reminding my parents I don't intend to be living with them long and I feel I can own any beast or creature I want since they won't be in their home come spring. Still even in Texas they called me and said "no more fish, you are wasting money on them." to which I just answered, "stop me if you can, I'm 22 and this is MY house."

#57 ·
Yea grandma! Sounds like mine. MUCH more understanding than my parents are and just an awesome woman all around :cool:

#55 ·
If it makes you feel any better....I had a tragic (but stupid) loss of myself. I had finally found a perfect female mate for my boy Leon...took me months to find her. She was a perfect lavender/purple & white salamander female which I was intending on mating with my boy (pictured in the avatar). When I initially got her I struggled to get her to eat...she was only eating bloodworms (that junk food). After weeks and weeks of almost forcefeeding she FINALLY started eating betta flake food! I was like WOOHOOOO....went to bed happy that night.

Then the next morning I woke up and found her on the floor dried-up! (forgot to cover up my rimless tank that night) But DAMNNN I was so mad!!! Especially since I had just gotten her to eat flake food! AND she was a perfect find for Leon. :cry:

Now I'm on the search for another female salamander...hopefully w/o having to resort to crazy aquabid import prices.

:cry::cry::cry:

#59 ·
My grandma was the one who raised me since when my parents were married it was very 'unsafe' for a child to live in that sort of situation. I lived with my grandma until I was 12 after my parents got divorced. All we ever did was play outside, garden, talk about faeries, and save wild animals that needed help. Most of my life was bottle feeding baby bunnies and helping birds, field mice, just about anything recover from animal attacks. And I learned more than anything from her, the best part of saving wild animals isn't keeping them forever but watching them go free again and take to their home happy to be alive, given a second chance. She loves animals like I do and she understands how i feel about my fish and my frog, even my snails. She knows I only want what is best for them and if happy to help me when she can. When I was down on cash one year she even paid my $200 vet bill FOR MY MOUSE. She knew that mouse was special to me and paid the bill so Ophelia could get her medication she needed.

Can you see it now Blue?

#60 ·
Sorry for your loss, Hang in there! I remember having a similar situation as youngster still remember 35 yrs ago the loss of a favorite guppy to the dreaded vaccuum. I have since raised and cared for thousands of fish. It taught me a valuable lesson, not soon forgotten but has made me a better caregiver!

#62 ·
Oh wow... I can see why you were so taken aback. Em, that is just... divine. That is all I can say about it. Divine. It would be beautiful on your back between your shoulderblades to remind you that even though you can't see her anymore, she is always watching over you. :)

And I get the grandparent thing. My mother wanted me until she got me and then... not so much. My Mammaw is the closest thing I will have to a mother and in my eyes, she is. And it sounds like your parents are regular parents of the year, so I know living with them is like nails down the chalkboard of your soul. :-(

#63 ·
I was thinking between the shoulders too, and then it would almost be symbolic of Aquarius always begin apart of me.

I think after my therapy appointment if we have time today my grandma is taking me around the petstores to look at fish. She said she wanted to take me today and my mom seemed suspicious but eh, my grandma covered it well with "I just want to spend time with my granddaughter."

#64 ·
Good for you hun. Also, make sure you find a true artist to do it. It will be a part of you for the rest of your life. And I would leave off the RIP part to make it happy and beautiful to all who see it. But that's just my opinion. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

#65 ·
You are a great betta parent, don't bee to hard on yourself. The tattoo is a beautiful idea!

#67 ·
That'll make a very unique and lovely tattoo. Just a warning though - the white on the fin edges is going to HURT so you may wish to set it up as 2 sessions. And they may ask if you're ok with mixing a color with the white, because it does have a tendency to yellow over time (which will be especially noticeable paired against the indigo, as they're complementary colors). A little bit of blue or grey in it will prevent that from happening.

St. Sabrina's in Uptown does pretty magnificent tattoos, if you're looking for a shop ;)

#68 ·
OMG so I went to The Betta Shop and got a BEAUTIFUL hmplk. :O Can I just say how beautiful he is seven times over? His name is Copernicus. Posted pictures of him in the betta pictures.

I talked to a guy at a tattoo shop today when my bandmate got his ears pierced and he told me about that too. Wingnuts in Anoka. My friend went to the one you mentioned though Babystarz and got great results.

#69 ·
Woot! I am so happy you found one that spoke to you hun. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

#70 ·
Oh man I just saw this thread, its putting me in tears :( I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been a traumatic experience too :( I'm glad you decided to get another betta and not give up on betta keeping. I've sucked up my Corydora's TWICE, once one was stuck right at the beginning of the hose for like 5 minutes...I couldn't get it out! Eventually I had to get a Q-Tip and poke it through where it connects to the hose to push him out. Luckily they survived both attempts on their life. Honestly I never knew how dangerous these things could be...

#73 ·
You can also siphon out water with airline tubing, that is what I use for my fry tanks. Just place the bucket you're siphoning into below the tank. You may need to suck on the end of the tubing to get it going, but don't do it too hard because gravity will do most of the work! Same concept for refilling with clean water, but place the bucket above the tank.

#76 ·
LadyVictoria: I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy that you were able to find another fishy to love!!! I understand about the fishy thing. My grandma wasn't very excited about me getting a fish and tank, but she's been coming in to look at the tank lately. My depression has been kicking my bottom lately, so I bought my betta after my doctor told me to do something for myself for once (I'm very much a people pleaser). As my boyfriend would say, you shouldn't let what other people say bother you so much; just don't care what they say. If your fish matters to you, then that is what is important. The whys shouldn't matter, other than it just IS. Cheer up, buttercup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.