Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #11 
callistra

I've always used a full dose to soak, but I've always used Seachem brand. I've read where people just eyeball split up half a packet and that seems to work. I think the relative dosage to Seachem is 1 scoop is half the GC packet.

You are probably eventually going to need to buy another box.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 
maycausedeath

Right on, looks like I'll need two to finish. I've fed him the medicated pellets and got the epsom salt in. Thanks for all the help, really.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #13 
callistra

You're very welcome! Report back after a few days and let us know how it goes..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #14 
maycausedeath

So it's day 5 of treatment and nothing really seems to have changed, other than the fact he likes the soaked pellets so much I'm afraid he won't want to go back to the other ones. The lump is still there, it hasn't gone down but the scales around the area do seem to be flatter. He still has trouble swimming, and it must be noticeable because my mom has even commented on it, and she claims she doesn't see any sort of lump on him. I'm gonna keep on trucking and hope to see some changes soon.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #15 
maycausedeath

So at this point he is definitely getting worse. The lump or swelling or whatever it is has moved to the bottom of his stomach as well as the side. It hasn't traveled to the other side yet, but I assume it is going to. At this point he looks like one of those grossly distended fish on google search, except with bloating on one side as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #16 
callistra

He's being fed the GC soaked pellets for about a week now? 4 a day, yes? What pellets did you end up soaking?

He's also been in 1 tsp per gallon epsom salts for about a week? I would increase to 2 tsp per gallon.

Are the scales still pine coned or have those still gotten better?

Is he pooping daily? What color is it? The bloat on the bottom could be he's not pooping them out and getting constipated..

Photos?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #17 
maycausedeath

Yes. Pellets are Tetra Betta Plus w/ color enhancers, wheat as the first ingredient.

2 tsp/gallon would bring it up to 5 tsp total correct?

I never see him poop, hadn't been paying too much attention because of the epsom salts... Picture at bottom, sorry for poor quality. The bloat or lump on the bottom has doubled in size since yesterday.

Last edited by maycausedeath; 01-22-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: fixed image link
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #18 
callistra

Sorry he's not responding to the pellets :(

I would increase epsom salts and hold off feeding a couple days. Watch for poop and see if his belly doesn't calm down some.. hopefully it will..

For 2.5g that's 5 tsp epsoms.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #19 
maycausedeath

He's been in the epsoms and fasted since my last post with no improvement

I'm going to start feeding him again just to improve quality of life unless you have other suggestions...
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #20 
callistra

It's important to watch for his poop while he looks like this.. you need to be able to confirm that what you are feeding he is pooping out, even if you need to QT float him for a few days to see it. The fact that his belly is increasing like these means either his infection is spreading or he's not pooping and it's really important to determine which.

I would be looking for ways to give his immune system a boost. If you can find it Fresh Water Vitachem is an awesome and best way I've found. You can add it directly to the tank at 2 drops per gallon - it's safe for all fish and plants as it's basically a fish multivitamin. You can also use it as the soaking ingredient when you are feeding these pellets.

If it's not parasites then he really does.. and I didn't want to say it at first because in my experience is that it's pretty rare and parasites were far more likely.. look pretty fish tb ish... and the treatment for this is kanaplex + furan 2 + vitachem for a month.

Last edited by callistra; 01-26-2013 at 12:21 PM.