Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #21 
SpeakNow13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Wait, are his fins clamped? Or melted together? If he has advanced fin rot - to the point they are melted- don't worry. Ludendorff and I pulled through fin melt together when I got him.
Clean warm water should stop growth of the infection. aq salt should kick start recovery.

Also, congrats on the rescue! Bless you :) (I'm fortunate that no WalMarts in my side of the country sell live animals)
You're quite fortunate! They took the fish section out of one of the walmart's here in Colorado hopefully it is a trend that will continue!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #22 
Laki

Yes, the pet-free bandwagon they probably tested in Atlantic Canada first for evidence of sales fluctuation without harming the store as a whole or something. Haven't been fish in WM here for close to 10 years I'd say.

Looks like you have a handsome dalmatian betta!! Nice. His belly looks pretty round, not from feeding. I would dissolve 1 tsp of epsom salt and treat him on that until he looks better. Feed minimally. If he is spitting some out it could mean he is not hungry and just wants to play. I would also fast him completely for 2 days before feeding again.

As for the fin melt, keep his water clean and it should heal without further intervention, it does not look like it has spread.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #23 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakNow13 View Post
I have been feeding him the omega 1 betta buffet pellets. I didnt have any betta flakes so I but some of my tropical flakes in there and he ate some of them! Still spit some out but I think he at least got something in his tummy which makes me feel sooo relieved!
Gus was the same way. I hated the flakes because of all the mess, but he was able to eat them much easier for that first month. Then, I slowely switched him over to pellets. Has he ever eaten or is this the 1st time since you got him home?

Someone else will have to weigh in on the fins. I'm not an expert in that area and I don't want to misinform you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #24 
Tikibirds

If his fins are vanishing quickly, he may be tail bitting.

He dosen't have any white fuzzies on him? it may be hard to see if he is a light color.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #25 
SpeakNow13

No white fuzzies, I have looked with a flashlight. I can see red at the tips of his fin, but cant tell if its his coloring
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #26 
SpeakNow13

Just an update :) his fin rot has stopped at last! Still working on getting him to eat pellets. I got some omega betta flakes and he picks at them. The little stinker loves freeze dried blood worms of course. If he thinks he's gonna live off of treats he's got another thing coming! But at least he is eating :)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #27 
Laki

Have you tried soaking the pellets in garlic infused water?
And I don't know if you mentioned, but have you fasted him?

If all he eats are the worms, soak them in plain water first to rehydrate them. And only give them every second or third day. Though, I wouldn't offer them more than once a week. Do not give in! lol
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #28 
SpeakNow13

I am happy to announce that Albert is free of fin melt, fin rot, and ich, and is happily swimming in his 5 gallon and eating pellets! Rescue complete!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #29 
Laki

Excellent!! Congrats!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #30 
SpeakNow13

Thank you for all of your help!