Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Outlining on Betta/Black Spot

976 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a female crowntail betta from my local Petsmart. Overall she appears really healthy and seems to be happy in her new tank. I've had her for 5 days now in a 2.3 gallon filtered bow-shaped desktop aquarium and had the water tested to make sure it was ok before adding her. I've already done a 30% water change two days ago just in case there were any initial spikes in nitrates, nitrites or ammonia (its a new tank). However, I've noticed a very small black spot on her right side that is honestly about the size and appearance of a pencil point (<1 mm and oblong). I am almost certain its getting smaller, it definitely hasn't grown. The other place is also on the same side--in front of the tail fin, and looks like someone outlined a patch of scales with a pen. It's about pinky fingernail size and only appears there. I'm not sure if it's normal coloration or if it's a disease of some sort. Both are asymmetrical. I have tried and tried to get a good picture of it but I haven't been able to get one that clearly shows the areas in question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Andy

#2 ·
Hello everyone,
However, I've noticed a very small black spot on her right side that is honestly about the size and appearance of a pencil point (<1 mm and oblong). I am almost certain its getting smaller, it definitely hasn't grown. The other place is also on the same side--in front of the tail fin, and looks like someone outlined a patch of scales with a pen. It's about pinky fingernail size and only appears there. I'm not sure if it's normal coloration or if it's a disease of some sort. Both are asymmetrical.

Is it something like this, look for the black edges on the fin. If so, this board said fin rot for my Fred I used AQ salt to treat for 10 days. the black faded and white fins grown back.

This is my original link FYI:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124965

#3 ·
@Otterfun thank you! This looks a lot like what I'm seeing. The fins look healthy, but the place on her scales looks very much like this. It's almost as if they have dirt or grime packed underneath them where the scales overlap. I've read that kosher salt or sea salt can be used as an aquarium salt, is there special method to use or is it added directly to the tank? Also what ratio of salt to water did you use? Thanks!

#8 ·
It's normal coloring. No worries. She's a cellophane.. may marble/color up though once she gets some clean water.

I would not use kosher salt or sea salt in replace of aquarium salt.

#10 ·
Don't think anything extra is needed.

Just be aware cycling takes up to 2 months to complete and a lot of people will tell you not to bother trying in anything under 5g. They would say to always do the weekly 50% and 100% changes but you can try. Some would say a twice weekly 50% with gravel cleaning (stir dip in something so small probably) would be okay once the tank is fully established. In the meantime you should own a reliable drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. In addition to twice weekly 50% changes, you should do a 50% change any time you see as little as .25ppm ammonia or nitrite. Ammonia will spike first, then nitrite. Ammonia should lock at 0 followed by nitrite leaving only nitrates should should be kept under 20ppm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.