Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #61 
Kitty Whiskers

Arrow Sad News :(

I started treating the Bettas and Cory Catfish with the Kanaplex but sadly Misty died. She was hanging on to life so long trying to fight this sickness. RIP Misty

I set up a makeshift hospital tank using a 7.5 gallon storage tote that I bought yesterday. I filled it with 5 gallons of conditioned water, put in a heater and an air stone and added some plastic plants for security. No gravel on the bottom and no filter. I put my last female Betta Violet in there with Norville my Albino Cory Catfish. I added the Kanaplex according to directions and now I'm hoping for the best.

I just can't believe that out of 12 Bettas, only one is left and only 1 out of 4 Cory Cats survived.

Oh and by the way I added the recommended amount of Kanaplex to the 30 Gallon tank also because the Oto Catfish are still in there. One Oto this morning has a whiteish hole in it's side. Maybe they are going to get sick too IDK. I have been keeping up on all the more water changes with the 30 gallon.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #62 
Sakura8

*hugs* I'm so so sorry, Kitty Whiskers. I wish I could tell you why some tanks succumb en masse to diseases even when the fishkeeper is doing everything right. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Violet and Norville.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #63 
Kitty Whiskers

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
*hugs* I'm so so sorry, Kitty Whiskers. I wish I could tell you why some tanks succumb en masse to diseases even when the fishkeeper is doing everything right. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Violet and Norville.
Thank you very much I needed a hug alright!

The one Oto with the white hole on his side died too. He died the next day after putting in the Kanaplex.

So far Violet and Ghostie are doing ok and eat a lot more than before. They are very active and seem happier now with the Kanaplex added to their water. I added their 2nd dose today as well as the 2nd one for the Otos. (Typed the wrong name and wrong Cory Cat last time, Norville is happy and healthy and lives with Ace in his 10 Gallon)

How will I know if and when I could add more fish to the 30 Gallon tank? I'm not sure I could handle loosing any more Bettas so maybe I'd add different tropical fish instead.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #64 
callistra

wait what.. white hole? like this? pitted white stuff? http://www.wetwebmedia.com/CichlidPI...scar%20(1).JPG
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #65 
Sakura8

Callistra, you're not thinking of lateral line disease or hole-in-the-head, are you? I know smaller fish can get the parasite that causes that but I thought only bigger fish with big sensory pores could get the pore erosion . . .
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #66 
callistra

I don't really know about the disease process in otos specifically, but yes, that's why you see the holes in fish like discus and oscars. The other bettas could maybe have an internal version of it and the oto an external... but maybe I'm wrong. we don't have any photos from the OP to go off of, and I don't know of much that causes white holes that aren't fuzzy. I've seen bacterial rot fill with fungus which isn't fuzzy at first.. I know gram negative septecemia in catfish can cause white holes, again don't know about oto.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #67 
Sakura8

Yeah, I was under the impression that HiH could only happen in larger fish with pores big enough for the parasites to get into, but I could be wrong. Otos are catfish so maybe this is a bacterial rot like you mentioned.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #68 
Kitty Whiskers

Smile I believe the fish are getting better!

It didn't quite look like the links picture but it was close though. It was big and covered a huge area of it's left side. So far the other Otos are OK and still active and eating.

I did complete the series of Kanaplex in the 30 Gallon and in the hospital tank. I dosed the maximum of 3 times adding the right amount of powder every 2 days.

Violet seems better, but today she kept spitting out her pellets. Later on the pellets were gone so I guess she ate them. She is active and curious like she used to be. The Cory Cat is doing better as well and eats his Bottom Feeder pellet like a pig! He too is way more active too.

Hopefully this does the trick.

What should I do next? I was planning on doing a large water change and add the filter cartridge back in to the filter box of the 30 Gallon. Then I was going to move Violet out of the hospital tank and put her in a tank of her own instead of placing her back into the 30 gallon.

When do you think it would be safe to put new fish into the 30 Gallon?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #69 
Kitty Whiskers

Arrow The Hospital Tank

This is the hospital tank I made for my fish. It's a 7.5 Gallon storage tote box.

Violet has her appetite back, she is wanting to eat the catfish wafer LOL
Attached Images