Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #11 
tnvol

I think it depends which expert you talk to. I asked the very same question in this forum the other day and was told "it's what bettas do".
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquad4 View Post
I hope that's all that it is!
If he is doing it mostly at night and only occasionally during the day, then you have nothing to worry about. :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #13 
sainthogan

Is the tank light on at night? Or do you leave the room lights on while his tank light is off? Both of those will cause reflections that will stress your fish.
My male freaks when the room lights are on, but his tank light is off and he lays on the bottom and breathes very heavily.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #14 
DSquad4

The tank light definitely causes him to see his reflection so I've left it off all day today and he's been okay for the most part. Now he's laying on the top of the submersable thermometer! He must just like to rest...I'll have to run to the pet store and buy him a Betta log or something of the sort.
DSquad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #15 
blu the betta

mine sleeps in a rock that is shaped like a cave at night. (found at home) he loves it. mine does the same thing. so he seems fine to me
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #16 
gbose

Good luck, Dsquad! Bettas are fairly hardy fish and it sounds as though you're doing all the right things!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #17 
tnvol

I've stopped being surprised by the things mine does. I have 2 big Marimo balls and he squeezes himself underneath them and just sits there with his tail sticking out. He tries to push them around the tank. He always tries to wedge himself in the roots of the plants. He sits on the bottom all the time. Not just at night. I stopped freaking out over it all.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #18 
DSquad4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
I've stopped being surprised by the things mine does. I have 2 big Marimo balls and he squeezes himself underneath them and just sits there with his tail sticking out. He tries to push them around the tank. He always tries to wedge himself in the roots of the plants. He sits on the bottom all the time. Not just at night. I stopped freaking out over it all.
Haha! Well it's good to know that they can do some pretty weird things without having to worry!
DSquad4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breathing, gills, resting, sick, swimming