Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #461 
Viva

Omg a lizard!? Wow that is crazy...sorry to hear that. Glad there's no lizards up here in Massachusetts lol.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #462 
BaboBetta

yeah my husband caught the culprit. We had just got home from grocery shopping and he moved this board out of the way that was covering our vent for our dryer machine and it ran out. Made all of us ran like headless chickens lol. Of course out of natural instinct...my husband stomped on it. Here's a pic of the lizard.

BaboBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #463 
aemaki09

Just wanted to show off my little baby.
Estimate him/her to be about 9 weeks and already blowing a bubble nest.
A blue marbled..not sure of tail type, the fins don't have as much of a slope as my other VT girls...
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #464 
fishprincess

Just wanted to know if anyone had any answers to my previous questions? The red on the gills is still a little concerning to me. I just can't tell if it's just a part of my fishy's coloring or if it is indicative of a problem. Also, any guesses on age/gender are still welcome! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishprincess View Post
Hello everyone!
I just recently purchased an adorable little baby from Petco about a week ago. I was very excited to find a little double tail in the store! The other babies all seemed to be veil tails. It is currently in a 3 gallon tank with a heater, filter, and a little marimo ball.
So far my little one is doing very well. It has a very healthy appetite, is very active, and looks to be in overall good health for it's tiny size.
My baby is only about the the length of the width of a penny (including its tail). It's body is transparent, and has no color except for the faintest hint of red on its head and gills. Its fins are mainly transparent as well, but there is also a tinge or red on the inner part of its fins, which is incredibly hard to see without the flash of a camera.
I had a few questions to ask everyone here who knows more about these little babies than I do!

Question 1: Is the red around its gill area a cause for concern? I was a little worried that maybe it had something to do with being exposed to too much ammonia. And if it is a problem, what can I do to fix it?

Question 2: I know it's a long shot since its still so tiny, but any guesses on age/gender? It's so tiny, and barely showing any color at all that I have no idea how old it is, let alone its gender!

I have attached two crummy cell phone photos of my little baby, I hope they are good enough! The first photo is without flash, the second photo is with flash.
fishprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #465 
BaboBetta

Hi FishPrincess,
Your lil one looks kinda like mines. Except yours is a double tail of course. Here's a link i found that might be able to help you have an idea on how old your betta is.

http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #466 
LadyVictorian

So I may be getting a few babies today after therapy, stopping at petco to see if my baby I like is still alive. T.T
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #467 
Viva

That lizard is scary! It looks really big too lol.

Did you get your new baby betta that you wanted Lady?

I picked up a new 10 gallon aquarium today at Petco since I have a spare hood, heater, filter and substrate :) Got the plastic mesh to make 4 dividers with, 3 for the new 10 gallon and 1 for the 5.5 gallon, though I still need to get the report binder things to make a DIY divider. I also got a new baby betta, it was the only one there and its sooooo much smaller than Prize was when I got her last month (Prize is getting HUGE now! Still has to develop some color on her body though). Here are some pics of the new baby, s/hes literally less than the length of a quarter. I'm glad I took her home and not someone else since I have a nice microworm batch that I got from titolatino1970 on this forum that's been growing for 2 weeks now...the baby absolutely loves them!

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #468 
Kuro

my little Iroh is doing nicely now...his pelvic fins just colored up the other day and he's got a sheen of purple down his back and all his fins have grown alot since i got him. he apparently enjoys his clean temp 1g tank instead of the cup of death(water tested 4-5ppm ammonia) walmart had him in....cant wait for him to grow some more so he can move into a bigger tank
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #469 
BaboBetta

Viva, that lizard was big and scary. As you can see how it got to my betta...that thing got some long claws. Your little new addition/betta is adorable.

Kuro, how big is your betta?

Does anyone on here know when we can tell the tail type or gender? Like how old the betta has to be for us to tell if it's a female or male? Half moon? Crown Tail? Delta? etc..
Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #470 
Kuro

Iroh is about 1.5" or so all together fins included.

i'm not sure he's a VT as his tail isn't long and flowy like my Cain's is but that could be from him being a baby or he could very well be a different tail type as well...will just have to let him grow up some more to be sure on what tail type he is.

he has a long drapey anal fin much to long for a female and its gotten longer in the almost week i've had him which is why i say male...plus he has no egg spot and has a male body shape.

Last edited by Kuro; 01-20-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta