Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #11 
Mirage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
lol no they dont wat ur seeing is they r checking to see who is a male, a few days a go i got some green HM ,well my friend told me they were all females so i put 3 of them in a small tank about a day after i though the 3 of them was fighting but when i check them on the 2nd day the tank was full with eggs yup 1 was a male , wen i told him about it he told me he got 2 PK males out of the same spawn , so not to sure wat ur goin to do with those girls, the male he use was rosetail n the female was HM bout imported so he had no idea wat they really was
Haha that's pretty funny. My girls are starting to egg up which is so weird to me!! There's maybe three who haven't yet. Haha silly girls
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #12 
chardzard

yea i sold some fish of witch is some very slim girls at first i though they were boys too but they have wat some call the egg spot (peek under the skirts)i have to make a head count n see how many females i have i plan on doing a lot of spawning soon bread some for the show guys n some for the guys who want nice fish
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #13 
Mirage23

Yeah I got into the habit of checking my females for egg spots before I buy them because once I got a so called girls that ended up being a boy and he was beat up by the other girls pretty bad. He was the same size as them all but now he's getting bigger and his manliness is coming out more haha.

So now I have a problem, Sweetie decided she wanted to go on a power trip and I checked them today and I saw Sweetie chasing the "dominant female" (Garyados). Upon further observation I noticed that my girls had nipped fins galore except for my hiders. I thought Emerald had clamped fins but it turned out she got a hair cut from a fellow tank mate... They're getting along now and I'm really surprised this happened but I'm not sure what I should do from here. I haven't ever had so many nipped fins before and especially not as bad as these are. I did a water change and conditioned it with stress coat which I'm hoping helps but for now I guess all I can do is wait and observe? Or am I missing something. I feel really bad but I understand it's normal it was just so sudden. Especially from the supposed to be innocent Sweetie! I guess she decided to fight back haha
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Hmm, nipping is normal especially if its a new tank. They are probably still establishing the pecking order. I'd keep the tank super duper clean while they heal, and cup the aggressor if she continues to be a bully. Maybe it would be a good idea to get some Indian Almond Leaves to prevent infection... Sororities are super delicate, anyways, so I don't think it would be a bad idea even in a sorority that gets along fine.

I was just wondering, did you get your girls from a breeder or pet store? Were they young? (I'm starting my own sorority and have kind of been keeping tabs on others' so that I can see what generally works the best.)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #15 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Hmm, nipping is normal especially if its a new tank. They are probably still establishing the pecking order. I'd keep the tank super duper clean while they heal, and cup the aggressor if she continues to be a bully. Maybe it would be a good idea to get some Indian Almond Leaves to prevent infection... Sororities are super delicate, anyways, so I don't think it would be a bad idea even in a sorority that gets along fine.

I was just wondering, did you get your girls from a breeder or pet store? Were they young? (I'm starting my own sorority and have kind of been keeping tabs on others' so that I can see what generally works the best.)
where u get ur fish dont really matter so much once the begain to make eggs they get picky with each other so a lot of decor with hide outs plants will work fine some of my girls live in a half of a 60gal tank have a very large rock n a lot of plants(live) for them to play
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #16 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
Yeah I got into the habit of checking my females for egg spots before I buy them because once I got a so called girls that ended up being a boy and he was beat up by the other girls pretty bad. He was the same size as them all but now he's getting bigger and his manliness is coming out more haha.

So now I have a problem, Sweetie decided she wanted to go on a power trip and I checked them today and I saw Sweetie chasing the "dominant female" (Garyados). Upon further observation I noticed that my girls had nipped fins galore except for my hiders. I thought Emerald had clamped fins but it turned out she got a hair cut from a fellow tank mate... They're getting along now and I'm really surprised this happened but I'm not sure what I should do from here. I haven't ever had so many nipped fins before and especially not as bad as these are. I did a water change and conditioned it with stress coat which I'm hoping helps but for now I guess all I can do is wait and observe? Or am I missing something. I feel really bad but I understand it's normal it was just so sudden. Especially from the supposed to be innocent Sweetie! I guess she decided to fight back haha
they this trick get a plastic jar put a mail in it to float in the female tank n wat n see wat ur girls do n ur going to learn a few things
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
where u get ur fish dont really matter so much once the begain to make eggs they get picky with each other so a lot of decor with hide outs plants will work fine some of my girls live in a half of a 60gal tank have a very large rock n a lot of plants(live) for them to play
Every sorority tank needs to be heavily decorated, and I do think that it often has to do with where they come from... Most private breeders keep their females in one large sorority tank so they are socialized from birth, whereas pet store females are usually separated early and shipped off in all different directions. Many people get their sorority girls from one breeder all from the same spawn that have never been separated for this reason - that means they are all also the same age and roughly the same size.

But, you can have issues with a sorority with females from a breeder and also no issues with a sorority with all pet store females, and a lot of this kind of depends on proper tank set up as well. I just like to read about different sororities and how they are set up, where the girls come from, how they work out... Just to get an idea of the entire picture.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #18 
chardzard

i see wat u mean but the tank is where u can make a differnace the larger it is the lest bickering u have mine have girls of all sizes but 1 thing u say is true they all were from group no fin nipping take place i have to really get a head count on that tank last year 1 of the females i got was from a petstore n she was mean to all my other females but 1 so most of the time i keep her by herself now i have a copper i got from 1 of my friends n se by herself n she use to be in a group too maybe it that she makeing now too from wat i have notice over the years they get grumpy when they start to egg up but the tank space is the key over all at first i added some guppys to the tank but after 1week the females left them alone
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

10 gallon tanks have worked for a lot of people, but I agree that the size has a lot to do with it. Probably the most important thing is the decor... If its heavily decorated and the girls have enough places to get away and hide, it works best. I only have a ten gallon for now but I want to upgrade later to at least a 20 gallon... Larger if I can find one for a good price. Mine is currently decorated heavily with silk plants, but I want to eventually get live plants. Sororities are my favorite and I just like to see what's worked for others, so that's why I asked.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #20 
Mirage23

I originally only had 5 in my tank with my 5th in a breeders net for a while because of her fins. Then I bought 3 more and and let sweetie out (she was in the breeders net). I changed some decorations and moved stuff around then floated them all and did the whole introducing new girls routine. I don't think garydos liked to have to claim her dominance again (this was her second time) and I don't think the new girls were going to let her. After this incident I haven't seen anything new on anyone and they are swimming together without fighting but I'm still keeping a close eye on them. I got my girls from various pet stores. It's amazing how much their colors change! Anyway, they are fine right now :)