Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #1 
GoodMorning

Where to put the babies?

I am just wondering where everyone is putting their frys when they get to be a couple months old? Let's say you had literally 100 or 200 frys survived, and they are outgrowing their 55g+ fry tank, so now where do they go? What is an affordable way to house all of them for a bit until you can cull, sell, or give them away? Would jars be practical? Can't you get like 25 large sized jars for like $10 bucks at walmart or something? Or is there a more affordable way to do this? I, however, am more interested in getting those tall rectangle cubes for them, but i have a feeling that getting a bulk of those would be pretty expensive.

What are you guys doing?
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 
joecool966

im about to get that problem also i have about 70 frys gonna be cupping in about month or less. I've been collection plastic bottles for over a month now. i cut off milk/oj carton and other stuff have about 20 so far lol.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #3 
KadenJames

It depends on how prepared you are to do water changes, and if you are able financially to set up a barrack system.

Most breeders house juvies in walmart jars or plastic containers, and if it is a large spawn end up doing hours of water changes every day. Personally, I set out buckets of water and soak Indian Almond Leaves for 24 hours before replacing the dirty water. This way the fish get softened, nutrient rich water every day.

Other breeders build barracks, which can house hundreds of bettas at a time (depending of course on the space available.) This system auto-filters the water and keeps a continuous flow of fresh, clean water to each fish 24/7.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #4 
Myates

Why sometimes doing a heavy cull while they are small is the best way to go if you don't have the room to hold so many. Cull a couple times at a very young age before they hit the few months mark - gives them more food/space to grow.

I have a ton of those 32oz plastic deli cups with lids- can buy off of AB for relatively cheap. Remember you will need to make sure you can heat all of those containers to the right temp. I'm in the process of making barracks right now as well to help keep breeders/future breeders in... running out of space to hold my breeders, etc lol

Remember to do water changes daily in any container you use, as well as in that tank with that many juvies - as they release a growth stunting hormone and water changes is the only way to keep it in check.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #5 
Fenghuang

I've been curious. If a breeder is keeping a number of females for breeding, could they set up a sorority to save space? Or would it be too risky?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 
Myates

Many use sororities to house the females.. sometimes they can be placed back in after breeding, sometimes not.. depends upon the fish itself.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Sororities with sisters actually work best, just never separate them and you won't have as much fighting as you do with a bunch of random girls.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #8 
aemaki09

You can get 32oz Deli Containers at GFS for a pretty good price, I cant remember how much I got mine for but they are a good size, have lids, and are stack-able so when they arent in use you can store them easily.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

I grow them out in 20-30 gallons.

Best males and females move to jars and once I breed again into the barracks.

Other females are kept in 10 gallon tanks or other reasonably sized tanks (if I have no upcoming spawns they usually just stay in the 20-30g tank).

Another tip is to use big plastic bottles with holes drilled in and hung by paper clips in the bigger tank. Same water changes and water quality :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #10 
Mahachai

If you're not afraid, you can visit a local resturant and see if they have any unwanted jars.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote