Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Should I get this girl??

SO!

For those who know I attempted to adopt a female last week and of course she was sick and her sister so I took them in regardless of their condition. They both went to heaven and I still have my untouched 5 gallon tank that is waiting for some inhabitants.

I want to adopt a female because I would like to eventually set my 10 gallon tank back up and get 3 others so I would have a total of 4 (is that reasonable?). The reason being is that I want to rescue as much bettas as possible and my mom would kill me if I had several tanks rather than one >_< But here's the girl I'd like to get :)

BUT I also thought, why not try to rescue one of the babies? Of course I know if I buy one i'm promoting the selling of them and I am clueless on how to care for them other than they need tiny pellets. So that is probably off the table but I love her colors!

Also I have a 4 hour drive tomorrow so my plan was to get a girl that was only an hour away. Should I get her?

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #2 
blu the betta

i would get her she is beautiful.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I say go for it, she has some nice color in her.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

If the tank's ready then go for it! :)
4 is reasonable for the sorority, I have a 20G so I have 7. ^.^ I recommend 4-6 in a 10G. The more the merrier, and less aggression. For babies, you won't get to know the gender. There's also a small chance of survival for them, too. They will be best on frozen foods like bloodworms, BBS, things like that. Good luck!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
i would get her she is beautiful.
I know :) I plan on buying her tomorrow!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I say go for it, she has some nice color in her.
I believe I'll get her tomorrow :) do you think a soriety tank of 4-6 would fit in a 10 gallon?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
If the tank's ready then go for it! :)
4 is reasonable for the sorority, I have a 20G so I have 7. ^.^ I recommend 4-6 in a 10G. The more the merrier, and less aggression. For babies, you won't get to know the gender. There's also a small chance of survival for them, too. They will be best on frozen foods like bloodworms, BBS, things like that. Good luck!
So 6 could fit in a 10 gallon?? I would probably stick to 4-5 but if I could I would have that many :D
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

Even if you only ever get just her and don't manage to assemble a sorority, females are some of the best! You will be amazed at how she will grow and her color will develop when you keep her in clean, warm water.

Though as for your sorority, please keep in mind that not all females are cut out to live together. If you decide to start one please have a back-up plan for the females that are not suited for living together. In order to help with success though, make sure the tank is HEAVILY planted (with fake or real, though if you go with real you will be able to have 6 easily) so that they can get away from each-other. It should be so heavily planted you have trouble seeing from one side of the tank to another!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Even if you only ever get just her and don't manage to assemble a sorority, females are some of the best! You will be amazed at how she will grow and her color will develop when you keep her in clean, warm water.

Though as for your sorority, please keep in mind that not all females are cut out to live together. If you decide to start one please have a back-up plan for the females that are not suited for living together. In order to help with success though, make sure the tank is HEAVILY planted (with fake or real, though if you go with real you will be able to have 6 easily) so that they can get away from each-other. It should be so heavily planted you have trouble seeing from one side of the tank to another!
Yeah my friend has two females and they're so much more lively than her males! Gosh I'm so excited!

So what if I got a 15, would that be the best? (Obviously) I'm just afraid my mom will say no to such a big tank >_<. Also I go to school 4 hours away and I would be going back and forth (just for the summer and winter break). With all that in mind would making a soriety tank a bad idea? I don't know how to transport them successfully so what do you think? I wouldn't start the tank until I was home for the summer in may.

I also have several other tanks that I could put females in if needed. Are crowntail females more agressive than others like males?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #10 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post

Do you think I would be cruel if I adopted all these girls and kept going back as forth from college with them? I would have them 3 months for the summer than about 4 months for my semester a month for winter break than another 4 months before summer break so I would bring them back each time