Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #11 
lf0210

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
If you got a rise out of him at all then chances are, when the water is warm enough he will give you a full display :)

The others are right about the 2.5 g requirement, since I am a poor student with limited means I think it is okay to gradually upgrade your fish tank-tank :) I merely meant, 1g is bare minimum. Even then I would feel bad using it long term. No big deal, every one has different means and worldviews. Also, yes- a filter in a larger tank is ideal. As long as it is not a water change substitute nor disturbs the water surface too much. Bettas come from, and prefer, very still water.
I attempted it again, when I turned the heat up in my house, and he deffinatlly flaired, big time.
lf0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #12 
Laki

:) Glad to hear!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #13 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lf0210 View Post
Thank you so very much! I'll try to find a heater soon, and hopefully a bigger tank, at least to one gallon. Do you think theres anything I can do to keep Skittle warm till then?
Since the weather's been colder than usual here, I've been obsessively worrying aobut how to keep Bo warm without a heater, too!
Though this is probably one of my more far-fetched ideas, I lit tea light candles and put them a safe distance away from Bo's first tank to give him a little more warmth. Primitive but effective for a little bit so long as you don't catch anything on fire! XD

After the tea lights went out I gently wrapped Bo's container in an extra (yes, extra) Snuggie and towels I had. Save for a small hole to let the air through, you couldn't tell there was a fish bowl! This little thing I had going on- the candles and the snuggie and the towels- helped my little guy survive two nights of darn-near freezing.

... the towels and such would probably be just fine though! ^^;

Good luck, and may Skittles stay warm!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #14 
Caii

Quote:
I attempted it again, when I turned the heat up in my house, and he deffinatlly flaired, big time.
Hail to the flair! I haven't seen Bo flare big time yet, but maybe one day~ I'm glad that Skittles is doing better! ^_^
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #15 
lf0210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Hail to the flair! I haven't seen Bo flare big time yet, but maybe one day~ I'm glad that Skittles is doing better! ^_^
He is, but with the blankets, my mother, sigh, kept taking them off saying he dosen't need them and they're fine with cold water. And went on about fish go crazy with nothing to look at, so they can't be blocked. Good thing my lamp gives off lots of heat!
And with the flair, he does this weird thing that other Bettas i've seen don't do. His gills flair up BIG to the point where he looks like a lizard.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #16 
Caii

Quote:
He is, but with the blankets, my mother, sigh, kept taking them off saying he dosen't need them and they're fine with cold water. And went on about fish go crazy with nothing to look at, so they can't be blocked. Good thing my lamp gives off lots of heat!
And with the flair, he does this weird thing that other Bettas i've seen don't do. His gills flair up BIG to the point where he looks like a lizard.
Wicked cool! Bo kinda flares, but then goes back to chill in his plant~ XD

If it makes you feel any better, my mother's all, "It's a FISH! A fish! Why does a fish need a pagoda and a heater?!"

She laughs at me and calls me "Mother Fish" because I freak out every time she lowers the house temperature, haha. I turned it up to 82 degrees yesterday and that didn't fly with her! XD
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #17 
lf0210

Quote:
Wicked cool! Bo kinda flares, but then goes back to chill in his plant~ XD

If it makes you feel any better, my mother's all, "It's a FISH! A fish! Why does a fish need a pagoda and a heater?!"

She laughs at me and calls me "Mother Fish" because I freak out every time she lowers the house temperature, haha. I turned it up to 82 degrees yesterday and that didn't fly with her! XD
Lol, yeah, mom was going on and on about how it dosen't need a heater or plants or caves. I was like, "SCREW YOU LADY I'M BUYING IT MYSELF!" Hopefully I can keep Skittle comfortable until my boyfriend can find his old two gallon tank. Fish have always been my love, they are all so chill and pretty, like, "Yo, I'm a fish... Nuff said, now, Imma float around and eat food while you sit and watch."
Skittle was one of the bettas that no one wanted; he has a pinkish color body with blue and purple speckles, then this rich blue fin color with tan colors, like a painting. He has this cool illusion thing he does when he gets in the light, his scales turn rainbow-y. Hence the name Skittle. His fins kind of look like silky cloth, not scaly like other fish.
He was so sad in his little cup filled with poo. I'm determined to keep him healthy!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #18 
Caii

Quote:
Lol, yeah, mom was going on and on about how it dosen't need a heater or plants or caves. I was like, "SCREW YOU LADY I'M BUYING IT MYSELF!" Hopefully I can keep Skittle comfortable until my boyfriend can find his old two gallon tank. Fish have always been my love, they are all so chill and pretty, like, "Yo, I'm a fish... Nuff said, now, Imma float around and eat food while you sit and watch."
Skittle was one of the bettas that no one wanted; he has a pinkish color body with blue and purple speckles, then this rich blue fin color with tan colors, like a painting. He has this cool illusion thing he does when he gets in the light, his scales turn rainbow-y. Hence the name Skittle. His fins kind of look like silky cloth, not scaly like other fish.
He was so sad in his little cup filled with poo. I'm determined to keep him healthy!
Haha! The funny thing is, I never even really fancied fish before I met Bo! XD
I mean, I like koi ponds and things like that, but I've never kept any fish or aquatic animals before. But, you know... it must be the betta bug, because I'm super attached to Bo even though we've only been together for a few days! XD

I'm so glad that you rescued Skittles: he sounds so beautiful! I think that, even though no one wanted him, it was best that you got him. It sounds like he's become your betta baby! ^^
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #19 
Laki

Wow lfo, your new avatar is a nice tease on Skittles' color :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #20 
lf0210

Quote:
Haha! The funny thing is, I never even really fancied fish before I met Bo! XD
I mean, I like koi ponds and things like that, but I've never kept any fish or aquatic animals before. But, you know... it must be the betta bug, because I'm super attached to Bo even though we've only been together for a few days! XD

I'm so glad that you rescued Skittles: he sounds so beautiful! I think that, even though no one wanted him, it was best that you got him. It sounds like he's become your betta baby! ^^
Yea, he is, and it sounds like Bo is yours, too! Betta fish are like an adorable, not bad sickness, you just can't help but fall head over heels for them!!!

Tags
betta, fish, health, newbie, worried