Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
RabidAliver

Fish won't stop tailbiting

This isn't so much a disease problem, but...I would like to know how to get him to stop biting his tail. He's already bitten over half off, and once it started to regrow he bit off even more. I've done everything from completely rearranging his tank to holding a mirror up to his tank every now and again to divert his attention from his tail and that still hasn't worked. What else is there that I can do?
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

What about your lights? What tail type is he?
Bright lights tend to stress out fish, they may kinda get "emo" because of it. And if he's a heavily finned fish, he might just be lightening his load. The fins are really annoying to them, surprisingly. I wish the people who made long finned bettas didn't make them THAT long.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
What about your lights? What tail type is he?
Bright lights tend to stress out fish, they may kinda get "emo" because of it. And if he's a heavily finned fish, he might just be lightening his load. The fins are really annoying to them, surprisingly. I wish the people who made long finned bettas didn't make them THAT long.
He's a veiltail, but the problem is that his tail was fairly short before and then he bit even more off (His tail was originally as long as it is in my profile picture, now it's about 1/3 as long as it was then) As for the lights they're LED lights above the tank, but they're only on a few hours a day (anywhere from 3-6 hours). I have been keeping his water extremely clean too (I just did a 100% change the other day) to prevent infection from the biting. His tail has barely regrown from tearing half of it off and then he bit even more off.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have a tailbiter too. He started after dealing with constipations and bloating, and never stopped.

I've tried:
more light / less light
warmer temp / cooler temp
more decorations / fewer decorations / moving decorations
more plants / fewer plants / moving plants
different brands of food
putting his tank next to a female's / putting his tank near a male's / hiding his tank from other fish
more interaction with me / less interaction with me
trying to reduce stress / trying to make things more exciting or interesting
covering his tank with a towel at night
changing his water conditioner
And I've probably tried some other stuff too. LOL

Some people can get their fish to stop tail biting. But mine seems determined to carry on with it. Oh well. Maybe it's like a hairstyle to him - some people prefer having short hair, and my fish prefers having a short tail.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #5 
callistra

Anyone tried vitachem + stress coat for it?

That's what worked for me.. plus the final bite was his first day in the 10g (he took a giant chunk out right center that evening.. after being moved from his 5g ) but it's been all good from there. My 10g also has a lot of elodea and tons of oversized thick silk plants. My guy definitely likes his floating plants.

Can you share photos?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #6 
Sparrowhawk

I've got a tail biter too. From what I've read about it on this forum, bettas who bite their tails either are reacting to something or they're just fed up with their long fins. Try everything you can before throwing your hands up and saying "he's just a biter" though he might just be one of those. This is some of what I've tried for Falkor, my tail-biter:

* Low light
* Lights off
* More decor/plants
* Less decor/plants
* Moving him to a higher traffic area
* Having him in a quieter area
* Moving decor around during water changes
* Not moving anything in case it stresses him
* Bigger tank
* More attention
* Covering his tank at night
* Covering all but the front of his tank
* Changing what is surrounding his tank
* Less attention
* Different food

Pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is housing him next to my other fish, but I'll have to try that when I'm about to attempt cycling my tanks, because I don't want him in a cycling tank while his fins are gnawed off.

After trying all of the above, I've basically resigned myself to making sure he's got nice, clean water, IAL in with him, using Stress Coat for every water change and basically letting him clip his tail to where he wants it, because seemingly nothing I can do will stop it.

Try everything you can for your tail-biter, and when you've exhausted all options, just make sure his water is always nice and clean, and perhaps get some IAL to put in his water.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #7 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Anyone tried vitachem + stress coat for it?

That's what worked for me.. plus the final bite was his first day in the 10g (he took a giant chunk out right center that evening.. after being moved from his 5g ) but it's been all good from there. My 10g also has a lot of elodea and tons of oversized thick silk plants. My guy definitely likes his floating plants.

Can you share photos?
I've never heard of the vitachem...Stress coat, however, I have to wait until my next pay to get. Sadly I can't share photos of the problem at the moment, though.

I'm still trying to get him a bigger tank too (My mom won't let me have a 5g, but hopefully soon I could talk her into it) But it seems like the biting took place just a bit after putting him in his re-arranged 3g. For now, it SEEMS like he's content with it since he's exploring it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #8 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I've got a tail biter too. From what I've read about it on this forum, bettas who bite their tails either are reacting to something or they're just fed up with their long fins. Try everything you can before throwing your hands up and saying "he's just a biter" though he might just be one of those. This is some of what I've tried for Falkor, my tail-biter:

* Low light
* Lights off
* More decor/plants
* Less decor/plants
* Moving him to a higher traffic area
* Having him in a quieter area
* Moving decor around during water changes
* Not moving anything in case it stresses him
* Bigger tank
* More attention
* Covering his tank at night
* Covering all but the front of his tank
* Changing what is surrounding his tank
* Less attention
* Different food

Pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is housing him next to my other fish, but I'll have to try that when I'm about to attempt cycling my tanks, because I don't want him in a cycling tank while his fins are gnawed off.

After trying all of the above, I've basically resigned myself to making sure he's got nice, clean water, IAL in with him, using Stress Coat for every water change and basically letting him clip his tail to where he wants it, because seemingly nothing I can do will stop it.

Try everything you can for your tail-biter, and when you've exhausted all options, just make sure his water is always nice and clean, and perhaps get some IAL to put in his water.

Thank you for those suggestions :D I've tried all but the moving the tank and getting him a bigger tank for the most part, just because I can't do either at the moment. Is it possible that he may be doing it because I'm not there, though? It seems like he only bites when I'm gone for hours at a time, like when I'm at school or work. I also recently changed his water conditioner from Jungle to API tap conditioner too.

As for the IAL, I don't have any of those at the moment. I'd have to find them somewhere online after I get my next pay.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
RabidAliver

Well...I tried to get a picture of his tail. It didn't go over well at all, he kept swimming off at the last second and made the tail picture blur badly. I'll keep trying, hopefully I'll have some pictures to post later!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #10 
RabidAliver

Not the best picture in the world, but it shows a little bit of the biting on his Caudal fin (which got the most damage, he's also having a go at his dorsal and anal fins, but you can't see it in this picture)