Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #11 
Luimeril

hey there! sorry you're having issues with tail biting. it can cause so much stress for us, to see our beautiful boys shred their tail! for me, i give up on making it stop. i've had two tail biters, both Deltas, and just gave up on making them stop. Ichi, my current tail biter, seems HAPPIER with his shorter, CT-looking tail, so as long as he's happy and healthy, i'm happy. but, if you want to get your boy to stop, follow these steps i use:

Quote:
is he an Halfmoon? they sometimes bite because their tails are too big.

can he see his reflection all the time, or another betta all the time? the stress from that, can cause them to bite their own tails out of frustration.

is there a current in his tank? sometimes, the current can stress them out if they have longer tails, and they'll bite it to relieve themselves of that stress.

are there lots of decorations in his tank? if there's too few decorations, he may be bored, and bite his tail to give him something to do(i had a delta who was like this.)

his tail WILL grow back, but it'll take time, and won't if you don't figure out the cause and put a stop to it. often, the simple act of giving him more decorations will stop it. my own delta, Dante, did it out of boredom. so, i gave him LOTS of plants, and he stopped it. if you want his tail to grow back a little faster, and better, get some Indian Almond Leaves. The tannins in them, help their tails grow back a little faster. i'm not sure HOW much faster, but it does help them grow back faster.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #12 
missm83

my boy is having this problem 2... i think cuz hes lonely...i been away most days at my bf place..normally i spend most of my day in my room with him... i have to find things to put in his tank he can occupy him self when im not here
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

Yeah he was never this bad, I put him in my tank in the bathroom, he's healthy and blows bubble nests, so he isnt sick, and no rot either. Hmm I'll try the ping pong ball. That sounds funny lol. Well thanks so much guys! I just hope he isn't a chronic tail biter lol!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #14 
Anitax3x

I'm also gonna try adding more plants and stuff for him to entertain himself with, I'm really thankful for all the help!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #15 
choojoo

After experimenting with environmental changes and whatnot, my betta fish, Burt, continued to bite his tail. I decided it was time to get something else that may distract his attention from destroying his tail like a dog chasing his tail.... I got a mystery snail (Kurt) and an African Dwarf Frog (Schmerdt). Surprisingly, Burt's stopped messing with his tail; it's been a week and a half and his fin is nearly 2/3 grown back! Now he finds entertainment in looking at Kurt occasionally, and Schmerdt sometimes. I think sometimes bettas just want a companion that wouldn't outshine his beauty. Now, at the corner of my eye while I'm studying, I can see Burt following the frog or snail around, when he's not busy trying to get my attention (he's super hyperactive and keeps swimming from side to side along the tank).
choojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #16 
RoMay

YAY I am glad your betta stopped. Hopefully it stopped for good. To bad they didn't make cones to prevent chewing for bettas... ...

YEAH that would look pretty silly.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote