Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

I have a team called friends I've made through the years. We sell each other fish for cheap and always give each other opportunities to buy equipment and fish off of each other first before they hit AB or the forums.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

This system sounds more like what we do in the horse world only in this horse world this is more nessisarry as breeding's can sell for $10,000. Normally one person owns the mare and the other owns the money and then they go in co owning the foal. They split share on the foals winnings or overall sale price and if one wants to completely own the horse they have to pay the others share off to them. We use to do this when we ran our Arabian horse breeding farm early on. Rather than buy $30,000-$50,000 mares we shared and leased horses or co owned foals. We owned a stallion back then who broke our bank and so we had to save up for years before we were able to buy our own mares. Once our breeding operation and studs got off the ground then we were self funded and no longer associated with other barns aside from the barn our horses were trained at for shows. I can't imagine it would be quite as needed in betta's though unless you are looking into buying $100 imports to get the best of the best early on.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #13 
Myates

Keep in mind, you don't get paid to win shows, etc, only if you sell fish and even then you won't be selling a ton of fish. So working in a team I would suggest people go in equally to avoid one person losing a ton of money.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #14 
inareverie85

Unless someone wants to pay me for half of my supplies and come every other day to do water changes, I'm not interested in only getting half of the credit if any of my fish were to place in a show. :P

I love collaborating with other breeders and working on special color projects in which we can trade fish for fresh genes, but the spawning and fry-rearing burden for MY fish falls entirely to me. Same as them. We work together to improve the species as breeders, but we stand separately when our work is evaluated.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #15 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
No it's not so much of a showing team, I exchange show quality fish with the locals and we form a group of breeders. We are all showing, none of us have plans to show together. I think we all secretly want to win.
It's pretty cool.. We all know eachother and have bought or sold to eachother.. There's Kim, Nicole, Skip, Rachel, Alex, And I. We all live in the Austin Area.. Or near it

Though Alex. I think you and Rachel are a REAL team. Both do waterchanges. Both working on lines, etc.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

The Lonestar group is srt of a *team* meaning they support each other, cheer each other on and help each other out with fantastic advice. Lori, Sherolyn, Karen, Meredith Gerald, Kayla and others, you guys rock and I'm so proud to be a part of such a friendly, helpful, generous group of people!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #17 
aemaki09

I am in talks of getting a type of team started.
I have all of the breeding supplies but she is planning to supply me with a good pair here and there so I can get my operation started on a good foot.
We aren't planning to show together or anything though. Our main idea is that I'll breed f1, supply her with some babies from that spawn, she has the ability to do whatever she wants with them, sell and get some of her money back, keep and breed an f2, or keep as pets.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #18 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The Lonestar group is srt of a *team* meaning they support each other, cheer each other on and help each other out with fantastic advice. Lori, Sherolyn, Karen, Meredith Gerald, Kayla and others, you guys rock and I'm so proud to be a part of such a friendly, helpful, generous group of people!
Hehehe I don't live there, but I learn so much from the people in the group and help when I can! Thanks for the shout out :) You rock too!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

You don't have to live there to be a member. Kayla is from Oklahoma, I think. I'm not there yet but should be in another 4-5 months.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #20 
Myates

I hope you do get there soon! I wish I was there :( and it's true.. Leslie is in NY.. but we have the TX flag up in the room with the breeding fish.. does that count? :P