Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

It sounds like they are pretty much all problem products. :p I really don't want to break the decoration but I guess I could to see if it rusted inside the decoration.... If the paint chips you would be able to see the metal if it were exposed. It also chips off metal easier than it does the rest of the decoration, but the easiest way to tell if its rusting is to look for any brown spots on the decoration. That is what made me notice it... And there were brown spots in a few places but most of them were very small.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #22 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
If you have one of these things too there's metal on the inside, because on the bottom of mine there's nothing but rust.
That one messed with my pH too! Gave me a nasty spike -_- Now, it isa very colorful pencile holder

Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #23 
callistra

Quote:
Upon further inspection all of my ornaments are magnetic and contain metal -_-... I'v been toying with the idea of going natural and this decides it. Anyone know if the paint comes off the "natural" tank gravel, because at this point i'm not sure about anything anymore.
That's a good idea.. to use a magnet.. but GEEZ all of them? That's scary.. now I'm worried about that castle :( I e-mailed the company.

Btw brown spots can also be brown algae.. it's common in certain places.. I have it here because it's in our drinking water in large quantities.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #24 
Bluewind

Hey, if anyone is a member of the main forum (bettafish.com is actually a subforum of tropicalfishkeeping.com ) I would love a hand from someone who had a bad experence with one of these products. I started up a thread in "Aquarium Products Reviews" titled "Dangerous or Amazing Tank Decor Reviews" and I need reviews and testimonials. I want to have data on good and bad decor all in one place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-21-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

Technically we are all members of the main forum. The log in works on both sites, but I've only posted on TFK once asking about my brothers loaches since I only keep bettas.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #26 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
That's a good idea.. to use a magnet.. but GEEZ all of them? That's scary.. now I'm worried about that castle :( I e-mailed the company.

Btw brown spots can also be brown algae.. it's common in certain places.. I have it here because it's in our drinking water in large quantities.
I went out to town today and got two little terra cotta pots one big one fir my little guy and a even littler one for my (new) snail who is now enjoying munching on an algae wafer in it. Now once my plant's grow I will take out the plastic plant's and have a natural tank for them. This finally gave me a reason to go natural.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #27 
celine18

Quote:
I went out to town today and got two little terra cotta pots one big one fir my little guy and a even littler one for my (new) snail who is now enjoying munching on an algae wafer in it. Now once my plant's grow I will take out the plastic plant's and have a natural tank for them. This finally gave me a reason to go natural.
i'm sure you did this, but terra cotta pot warning: there can be catchy spots around the hole in the bottom of the pot that need to be sanded, and also, on the smaller pots, the hole might be the perfect size to trap a curious betta head in, so, for good measure, i always shoved rocks into mine.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #28 
mstenorsaxplayer

I almost bought one too for Lil Sano's Christmas present. I got him a log instead :) I hope your fishies didn't get sick from it.
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #29 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
i'm sure you did this, but terra cotta pot warning: there can be catchy spots around the hole in the bottom of the pot that need to be sanded, and also, on the smaller pots, the hole might be the perfect size to trap a curious betta head in, so, for good measure, i always shoved rocks into mine.
I did I worried about him getting stuck since I couldn't get my thumb through it. So I crammed two pieces of gravel in the little hole back there. I also got a little 2 inch one for my snail, he spends most of the day hiding in there.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #30 
Bluewind

Plus, you never know what kind of chemicals could have absorbed into the pots in transit
Posted via Mobile Device