Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 
Dozzem

Question I'm not to sure what I should do. Help? (Stocking a 5 gallon)

I know it is very limited for options with a small tank like a 5 gallon but I have one and I mean to use it! I have a few ideas that are followed up with a little but of resurch. It is hard to come to choose what to do! Some guides say that one or two of a type of fish would live fine in the 5 gallon but then another says the same type of fish needs 20 gallons!

I am not sure what to do but here is what I am thinking of so far:
- A small Oscar alone OR
- 4 Endler's Livebearers OR
- A Crystal Red Shrimp parradise (7 shrimp but I am worried about breeding) OR
- dividing the tank in two and put my two male bettas in there

I am also making this a planted tank. I want it to have some Java Moss, Moss Balls, and Ancharis. I have a heater, AQ salt, conditioner and a thermometer. I have a lot of other things as well.

What do you guys think?
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 
efg321

You lost me @ Oscar..... They grow rapidly and tend to be a dirtier fish. I kept one for 9 years he ended up in a 55 to himself but for a pleco and an old angelican catfish. I attribute longevity to heavy filtration- hob and undergravel(powered by powerheads), lots of water changes, and very infrequent feeding live foods. He did start out as a pair @ 3/4" in a 10 gallon. We used a larger gravel to help with vaccuuming(even though it did not hold as much BB beneficial bacteria). He was fairly tolerent of java fern/moss in his tank although I often came home to oneside gravel hillsides. haha! and his spitting gravel onto the glass often sounded like throwing stones against a window. Good Luck!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 
Dozzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg321 View Post
You lost me @ Oscar..... They grow rapidly and tend to be a dirtier fish. I kept one for 9 years he ended up in a 55 to himself but for a pleco and an old angelican catfish. I attribute longevity to heavy filtration- hob and undergravel(powered by powerheads), lots of water changes, and very infrequent feeding live foods. He did start out as a pair @ 3/4" in a 10 gallon. We used a larger gravel to help with vaccuuming(even though it did not hold as much BB beneficial bacteria). He was fairly tolerent of java fern/moss in his tank although I often came home to oneside gravel hillsides. haha! and his spitting gravel onto the glass often sounded like throwing stones against a window. Good Luck!
Thank you very much, NO OSCAR! Note is taken. My dad had one in a 5 gallon before then I read about them and I got all confused. This is why I asked before doing anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

Agreeing on the oscar. I had a pair of oscars for four years. Bought them when they were tiny... Before I knew it, they were ten inches long. We're talking in just a few months time. Oscars grow at a rate of about 1.5 to 2 inches a month, give or take a few random growth spurts. They only really slow down after 9 inches.

There is really not a whole lot you can put in a five gallon. Your best bet will probably be to go with some shrimp (if you're worried about overpopulation, keeping a betta can help control it) or the divided betta tank. I don't know about endler's livebearers, but if they're like guppies, a small group (ratio of one male to three females so the male doesn't harass a single female to death from stress) should be alright. They may end up breedinh too, though. Good luck.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

SHRIMP!!!! they are so beautiful and having a little live planted tank for them would be so fun.

Also ADF's only 2 can be in a 5 gallon or snails :D Who doesn't love snails? (forgive me I am snail obsessive. They have me brainwashed.)
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #6 
Myates

Shrimp, a couple endlers, or a couple bettas divided are your best bet :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #7 
Dozzem

Great! So 4-6 red cherry shrimp, a blue mystery snail (I already have one but he is all alone in a 1 gal w/plants) and two endlers?! I have no idea how endlers work or where to get them other then the internet.

Should it be heavly planted or only a little? Filter or not? Probably filter hu?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #8 
aemaki09

You should have more than 2 endlers if you want endlers at all.

I'd say do 4 male endlers and some shrimp...maybe like 4-5 shrimp.

You will want it moderately-heavily planted and you will want a filter for the endlers since they dont have a labrynth like bettas do.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #9 
Laki

Didn't I read somewhere you can do like a shrimp per litre?
I have a go ahead to add 10 shrimp to my 2.5 and not worry about overstocking.
I don't know. I thought a lot more shrimp can be added to a 5.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #10 
SpeakNow13

I have my 5 gall divided with two male bettas :)
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote