Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Questions about a fish bowl?

Hi! I'm new to the site. I love fish, especially bettas. I've known a lot of people that have had bettas, and I think I want to get one too. I've done a lot of research, so I know a lot about how to take care of them and stuff.

I want to start out with the betta in a fish bowl though. My sister has an aquarium and bought a new heater recently, since the heater she had before was doing a bad job heating her 5 gallon.

So, question number one. Do you think that if I got a 3 gallon fish bowl (drum style, I think), would the heater keep the water at about 80 degrees F, since it kept the 5 gallon my sister has at around 72 degrees? I don't know if it would work or not.

I found a fish specialty store down the street recently, and they have bowls of all different sizes, but I think the biggest was the 3 gallon drum. I want it, as it would be the perfect size for in my room. I'm going to get some sand and I was thinking about maybe getting a small bamboo plant. Does that sound like a good idea? What should I do differently, if not?

The fish specialty store has betta fish too, for cheap. They all look happy and healthy too. The employees really seem to care about their fish, which is why I've decided to go to them from now on, rather than Petsmart or Petco.

What are your guys' opinions? I know I should get him at least 5 gallons in a tank, with a filter, heater, and stuff, but I know that they don't really need a filter. I can clean it often, like I need to. I'm planning on doing 25% water changes every other day, and I'll clean out the debris every day. Am I doing it right?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2 
jeaninel

A 3 gallon should be fine for your betta. regarding the heater, can you tell what wattage it is and is it adjustable?

You don't need a filter in a tank that small but I would do two 50% and one 100% water change each week.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
A 3 gallon should be fine for your betta. regarding the heater, can you tell what wattage it is and is it adjustable?

You don't need a filter in a tank that small but I would do two 50% and one 100% water change each week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome!

The heater isn't adjustable. My sister got it from Walmart. I even found it on the site. This is it. The box says it's for 2 to 15 gallons, but the description says 5 to 15 gallons. It doesn't say the wattage. But it kept my sister's 5 gallon at about 72 degrees, before she got an adjustable one.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 
callistra

I would suggest not using one of those preset heaters. They tend to be unreliable, overheat, and/or cause lots of fluctuations (as opposed to one stable temp). It's also extremely important you always use an in tank thermometer with them.

I would give any new heater a test run in similar sized container and in tank thermometer for 24 hours to make sure it will keep one constant appropriate temp between 78-80. If it won't I for sure wouldn't use it.

In something that size you can get a 25w adjustable heater like Jager or Marineland Vistherm.

In something this size you need two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. In the 50% I would suck through the gravel with a turkey baster to remove poop and half the water. I would refill it with same temp water (use tank thermometer to match running tap water) that already had conditioner added to it. I use 1 gallon water jugs like you can buy at the grocery store - rinse thoroughly before using with hot water but not soap or chems).

For the 100% he'll need to be removed. I would cup in an opaque plastic solo type cup and wrap a towel for heat. Thoroughly rinse the tank, gravel and decor but don't use soap or chems. Refill with same temp water, add conditioner, stir it up a bit then float him in the bowl an hour while slowly adding a couple tablespoons of new water to his cup every 10 minutes. Finally release, keeping as much of the old water in the cup as possible. He shouldn't show any signs of shock this way.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I would suggest not using one of those preset heaters. They tend to be unreliable, overheat, and/or cause lots of fluctuations (as opposed to one stable temp). It's also extremely important you always use an in tank thermometer with them.

I would give any new heater a test run in similar sized container and in tank thermometer for 24 hours to make sure it will keep one constant appropriate temp between 78-80. If it won't I for sure wouldn't use it.

In something that size you can get a 25w adjustable heater like Jager or Marineland Vistherm.

In something this size you need two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. In the 50% I would suck through the gravel with a turkey baster to remove poop and half the water. I would refill it with same temp water (use tank thermometer to match running tap water) that already had conditioner added to it. I use 1 gallon water jugs like you can buy at the grocery store - rinse thoroughly before using with hot water but not soap or chems).

For the 100% he'll need to be removed. I would cup in an opaque plastic solo type cup and wrap a towel for heat. Thoroughly rinse the tank, gravel and decor but don't use soap or chems. Refill with same temp water, add conditioner, stir it up a bit then float him in the bowl an hour while slowly adding a couple tablespoons of new water to his cup every 10 minutes. Finally release, keeping as much of the old water in the cup as possible. He shouldn't show any signs of shock this way.
This heater used to be my sister's, and it worked fine for hers. It always kept the water at 72 degrees. It was too cold for her betta in the 5 gallon though, so that's why she got a new one and gave me the old one. I think it would work better in a smaller tank, so I think it'd be fine in a 3 gallon... Or at least keep it warmer. All of the adjustable ones we have here are really expensive.

I'll definitely test the heater in the bowl once I get it. I haven't gotten any of the other stuff yet, aside from the heater, since it was given to me. When I get the bowl, I'll put the water in it and run the heater to see if it works.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #6 
callistra

72 is freezing. 76 is absolutely minimum and 78-80 is ideal, so it wasn't really working for her. Glad she got a better one.

You can get adjustable heaters online for about $15-$20. They run more like $25-$30 at my LFS, but they're well worth it.

If the one from your sister doesn't work it's something to think about.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
72 is freezing. 76 is absolutely minimum and 78-80 is ideal, so it wasn't really working for her. Glad she got a better one.

You can get adjustable heaters online for about $15-$20. They run more like $25-$30 at my LFS, but they're well worth it.

If the one from your sister doesn't work it's something to think about.
I didn't mean working as in usable, for her. I think it's more suited for smaller tanks, that's all. It would probably be able to work better in a 3 gallon, which is what I'm trying to say. It always stayed a steady temperature. It was just too cold for a 5 gallon.

The adjustable heaters we have here are more than $30. The ones in Petsmart are, at least. I can check at the new fish specialty store I found, but I'm sure they're just as expensive.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 
Kwomais

Callistra's right about the heaters being stupid cheap online. I know what you mean about them being expensive in your area... I'm from Canada and in my little neck of the woods things are RIDICULOUSLY expensive! Like $50 for a 50watt heater at my LFS ($30-40 at our Petsmart). Check out Amazon... they even have a promo right now where you can get a free 1 month trial of Amazon Prime which means free 2day shipping!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
Callistra's right about the heaters being stupid cheap online. I know what you mean about them being expensive in your area... I'm from Canada and in my little neck of the woods things are RIDICULOUSLY expensive! Like $50 for a 50watt heater at my LFS ($30-40 at our Petsmart). Check out Amazon... they even have a promo right now where you can get a free 1 month trial of Amazon Prime which means free 2day shipping!
I don't have a credit card, but if I can manage to get my mom to let me use hers, I can try to find one. I would just rather find one in a store though, so it's easily replaceable if anything happens to it. I could just bring it back to the store I bought it from.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #10 
Kwomais

I used to ask my parents to lend me their credit card for an online purchase by giving them the cash for the purchase up front. You are right about the convenience of returning to a store though...
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote