Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #91 
Oldfishlady

IMO-you should treat the full volume of the tank-not just the replacement water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #92 
rangerserena

Ok. So treat for the whole 50 gals and then just pour it into the tank with fish still in there
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #93 
babystarz

How much/often should I be doing water changes on an unfiltered, heavily planted 20 gallon long NPT? All my other tanks are filtered so I am unsure.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #94 
Oldfishlady

On a-mature soil based heavy planted 20gal with lots of active plant growth-reasonably stocked-even without a filter-that is at least 3 months old...Water changes of 2-3 times a year.....If the system is balanced, mature and working the way it should-it doesn't need that many water changes....
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #95 
Artist with a betta

I just added a big black mystery snail to my betta's ten gallon so now's there is just one fish and one snail. the tank is unfiltered how often should i change the water since I heard snails give off a lot of bio waste. I also have the 5 apon hybrids growing in the tank too.

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 01-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #96 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
I just added a big black mystery snail to my betta's ten gallon so now's there is just one fish and one snail. the tank is unfiltered how often should i change the water since I heard snails give off a lot of bio waste. I also have the 5 apon hybrids growing in the tank too.
I would still stay with the 50% weekly with light vacuum
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #97 
Jexx

I have 2 5 gallon tanks that are filtered and heated with gravel and silk plants. each has one betta. i have been doing 20-25% changes every other day and light vacuum every time. i test my water every other day. it reads .25 for ammonia on the days i do the change (before water change) nitrites now read 0, nitrates read 5.0 the tanks are just over a month old. is it safe to do 50% weekly changes at this point? or should i wait a bit longer until it is fully cycled?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #98 
Oldfishlady

In 2.5gal filtered without live plants-I would make twice weekly water changes for the life of the system....1-50% water only and 1-50% that include vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

If you haven't already, I would run a base line on your source water with and without your normal additives to rule out any skewed results.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #99 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In 2.5gal filtered without live plants-I would make twice weekly water changes for the life of the system....1-50% water only and 1-50% that include vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

If you haven't already, I would run a base line on your source water with and without your normal additives to rule out any skewed results.
My apologies, i meant i have TWO 5 gallon tanks. they are a month old and read .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrate after 3 days. I tested the source water and it read 0 for ammonia. Is it possible that they are just not quite cycled yet? a week ago the nitrites and ammonia read .25 but now the nitrites are down to 0..
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #100 
Oldfishlady

What is the base line test results on the source water-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...with and without additives. What are the additives, what is the source water, what kind of testing products used.

In 5gal filtered-weekly with vacuum for a single Betta-provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.