Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 
Sparrowhawk

Underfeeding = Cause of tail-biting?

Just wondering if underfeeding could be a cause of tail/fin biting. I'd assume so, given that it'd obviously stress the poor little guy, which begs another question... Is there a definitive guide on how much to feed bettas? I see advice about giving them enough food to fill the size of their eye, which is the size of their stomach, which seems sound. Then there's the suggestions that say to feed them until they look a little plump, but not too plump, just nicely rounded. Is there a consensus as to how much is the right amount, or is it just guesswork?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 
callistra

There's a general guide and a range but it really depends on the betta and the size of the pellet. They should get a nice round betta when fed, but it should go away after a few hours. They should be pooping regularly too.

When I get a new betta I start out by feeding just a couple of my NLS pellets that day. I'll feed another couple the next day and wait for a bowl movement. I'll usually see one within 24 hours. From there I'll increase to like two twice a day for a couple days while I watch poop. After maybe 3-4 days on that and monitoring they're pooping daily and without issue I'll start increasing and watching on a week by week basis. The fewest I feed of these is 5 and my one boy can take up to 8

NLS size seems to be ok at 5-8 a day. Omega One ("standard size") seems to generally be good at 3-4, but some feed 6-8 without issue. The boy in my av used to get 8 Atison's Pro a day.

I think it's important when you get a new fish to ease them into their environment and new food. You don't know what they've been fed and their digestive system might need a little waking up if they've been starved a while.

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 
Sparrowhawk

Thanks for that! I'd been feeding my boys all the same amount to match the size of their eye, but I think I'll have to experiment with the number I'm feeding each, and watch their bellies and poop closely. They're all pooping regularly, but I haven't been seeing the plump belly thing, as I've been rationing them based on eye size.

Thanks again for your input!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote