Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I base my advice on the condition of the fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #12 
TheWindWaker

...apparently I should clarify that the temperature itself does not change like that in one day. The fish is not experiencing 76 in the morning and 82 in the evening or anything like that. I just made a rough guess as to what my parents keep the temperature at which is somewhere within that range, perhaps changing 1 or 2 degrees depending on how cold or hot it is outside.

Apologies that could have been worded much better on my part.
TheWindWaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would still try a small automatic heater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #14 
TheWindWaker

I apologize for resurrecting this thread, but the problem is still persisting. My fish is continuing to exhibit strange behaviors regarding food.

He acts hungry when I first get up in the morning. He has a little 'Im hungry feed me' swim pattern that he still carries out. But after the first pellet or two he seems to lose interest in eating and starts flaring out at both me and the food until I back away. I'm not sure what to make of that at all.

The bubble nest making has ceased since I presented the problem and I have engaged in more frequent water changes as suggested. And to clarify from before, the temperature is consistent and usually over 76.

As far as his activity goes, I'd say he's even more aggressive than before if his attitude towards me and food is any indication. If I make any moves near the tank he gets upset at me.

I have looked him over numerous times and I can't find a single thing different about him.

I'm more than certain he's getting enough food that starvation isn't an issue, but I continuously hear how any betta not interested in 'eating like a pig' is usually sick in some way. So the fact that he starts getting aggressive if I present more than what he wants is a little strange to me, especially since in the past he would eat and look for more food.
TheWindWaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #15 
callistra

I actually stongly agree than a 6 degree daily temp swing is way too much. I understand though that you're saying that's the room swing average and you actually don't know the betta's bowl temp.. Your betta will actually be several degrees below room temp.. He needs a heater.. It sounds like you don't really know the tank temp because you're not using a thermometer in the bowl. You need to invest in a thermometer that stays in the bowl.

I also suggest upgrading to 2 gallon because it's very hard to keep ammonia low enough in that bowl.

If you don't upgrade to a 2 gallon you're going to need one of those preset tiny ones. With a 2g you can get a good quality adjustable one like a 25w Jager or Marineland Visitherm. Any new heater should be given a test run in a simliar size container for 24 hours with thermometer to monitor it. It should hold one stable temp without fluctuating between 78-80F. You will then need to acclimate him to the higher heat at no more than one degree per hour and 5 degrees per day. How exactly you do that depends on the heater you pick up.

What food are you feeding him?

Please explain in as much detail as possible how you do water changes and how often you are doing them now.

Photos might be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote