Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
tvfoster

Help! New owner little betta!

my betta fish was bright blue when i got him, he got fin rot and i treated him with t.c. tetracycline and it went away, i also added a heater to his tank (1 gallon has air stone) and i got back from a weekend vacation and he is now turning red on his belly and head and base of fins, he is also kind of white under his gills. I don't know what it is or if something is wrong. he was really little when i bought him and he is definitely bigger now. help! I have attached pictures, I hope someone responds soon to get some opinions. One picture is when i got him (the last one) and then there are three of him now. please help my little Champ!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes air stone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? two pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? ever 5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? top fin betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? skin went from being bright blue all over to red tint on head, belly, and base of fins. fins some what see through,and white under chin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, stopped treatment for fin rot 5 days ago, fit rot has not gotten worse
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? <1-1
Attached Images

Last edited by tvfoster; 01-21-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more information
tvfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #2 
callistra

It's really hard to tell what on your photos are shadows and other photo issues vs. actual betta coloring but it looks like he might have a lot of white on his head and his fins still look really bad..

Those stick on thermometers are not very accurate. You need one that goes in the tank.

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
tvfoster

Okay, more information was added. To explain, when I got Champ he was BRIGHT BLUE. all over, and really really little. I had a betta before him that was alot bigger (different breed) and he died of an unknown cause (didn't know he was sick). I have had Champ for almost a month and he immediately got fin rot, I treated him and his fins got alot better and it hasn't seemed to get worse. He was still bright blue. I went home this past weekend my roommate (trustworthy) fed him. I return and he is red on his belly and top of his head now. and the red seems to be going up the base of his fins and is some what see through. He is still one happy fish and ate immediately when I fed him today. There is no left over food on the bottom of his tanks and he has been pooping. I am changing the water tomorrow. I hope that helps a little more.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
callistra

I would get an in tank thermometer.

Two water changes a week are actually needed in this - one 50% and one 100%, like this:

Quote:
In something this size you need two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. In the 50% I would suck through the gravel with a turkey baster to remove poop and half the water. I would refill it with same temp water (use tank thermometer to match running tap water) that already had conditioner added to it. I use 1 gallon water jugs like you can buy at the grocery store - rinse thoroughly before using with hot water but not soap or chems).

For the 100% he'll need to be removed. I would cup in an opaque plastic solo type cup and wrap a towel for heat. Thoroughly rinse the tank, gravel and decor but don't use soap or chems. Refill with same temp water, add conditioner, stir it up a bit then float him in the bowl an hour while slowly adding a couple tablespoons of new water to his cup every 10 minutes. Finally release, keeping as much of the old water in the cup as possible. He shouldn't show any signs of shock this way.
1 gallon is okay short term but long term 2 gallons is really minimum to keep them healthy because even with the twice weekly water change they will still see smaller amounts (and sometimes not so small amounts) of ammonia, Prime as a conditioner will help with this because it also detoxifies ammonia and most conditioners won't.

I would look for a broad spectrum antibiotic like kanaplex, maracyn plus or furan 2 as a last option.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #5 
Demysta

Well, for starters, a 100% water change every five days might not be enough for your little guy. Its very easy for ammonia to build up out of nowhere in smaller tanks. What I would suggest is giving him a 50% water change now and monitoring him. Its not easy to tell from the pictures what could actually be up with him, but I would suggest putting pre-dissolved aquarium salt in with the water change, and repeat with a 100% water change and salt every day for the next 5 days.
I'm not that good at betta sicknesses, but because of how blurry the pics are, I would say the water changes and salt are a good idea just in case since a proper diagnosis can't be given yet. Really hope he gets better!
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #6 
tvfoster

Thank you! I will do a 50% tomorrow. Unfortunately I am in college and cant really manage (not alot of space) or afford a bigger tank so I will increase water changes. I will try and post more photos so yall can get a better look he always plays with in front of the camera like he knows i am about to take a picture haha. So hopefully those will help.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #7 
tvfoster

Hi again! hope these pictures help a little more. That took forever he kept swimming away! Thanks again for you're help! Hope these can give you a better idea.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #8 
tvfoster

UPDATE: I just looked over and watched him try and jump out of his water. He is swimming around like a maniac and seems to be trying to jump out of his tank and then darting to the ground. Doing a 50% water change right now. hope it helps.