Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 
ohhaiitslily

Is my fish sick?

I bought two bettas yesterday afternoon, (both are females). They seem to get along pretty well and they live in a one gallon tank. (I am unable to buy any tanks that are any bigger, right now.)
The temperature is fine, but I'm not sure about pH, nitrite, ammonia, etc (and I can't test that anytime soon either)
I haven't done any water changes yet.
So here is my problem- one of my fish is TOTALLY fine and swimming everywhere and eating and being happy. The other one spends most of its time at the bottom of the tank, not eating or anything. However, it reacts well to any stimulus (the net, the other fish, etc) but won't eat (I've only fed them about once, now, though). It usually only comes up to the top for some air. Should I just wait to see what happens with it? (Externally, it doesn't appear to look any differently than when I bought it.)
ohhaiitslily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 
blu the betta

it seems fine. it probably is just shy to eat or is a picky eater.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unfortunately the tank is too small for both of them. Not only does it not allow them to escape each other toxins will build up faster with 2 fish in that small volume of water. She probably is getting bullied by the other Betta & it is possible she's not 100% healthy which won't help matters. Adding plants & caves will cut down on their swimming space but if you can't get a bigger tank (at least 10g for more females) or a second tank you should at least add hiding places. Ideally you'd separate them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #4 
ohhaiitslily

If I can't do that, would more water changes help?
There are plants and hiding places in it (which tends to be where she stays for the most part), but like I said, I can't get another tank (or a bigger one) and to separate them, all I can do is put one in the little container she came in, which seems like it would be worse.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I agree with Shellieca. A one gallon tank is too small for two fish.

1) Bettas are territorial, and putting two fish in that small tank will result in problems. (It doesn't matter what sex they are.) At best, the fish will be stressed. At worst, one fish could severely injure or even kill the other.

2) Waste products will build up to a toxic level very quickly.

Below are links to three articles/stickies for you to read. The first two are about housing fish together. The third explains about the need for frequent water changes:

Betta Compatibility With Each Other
Female Betta Sororities
Oldfishlady water change recommendations

Edited to add: Is the reason that you can't get another tank right now due to space limitations, or financial considerations? If you can tell us that, people may be able to give you some suggestions on various options for safely housing your two girls.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

More water changes will only keep the water parameters safe it won't fix her being bullied. I'd take one of them back if you can't separate. You can use any kind of a container (Tupperware bowl, Rubbermaid storage bin) then you just need to keep it warm somehow.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #7 
ohhaiitslily

For how long? I can do that, but it probably wouldn't be able to last forever. Plus, it wouldn't have a lid which is necessary because of my cat.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhaiitslily View Post
For how long? I can do that, but it probably wouldn't be able to last forever. Plus, it wouldn't have a lid which is necessary because of my cat.
How long depends on when you get another tank or one big enough for a proper sorority. Use the lid that fits the bowl or container just poke holes for air or I've used Saran Wrap but I don't have a curious cat.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #9 
callistra

Really bettas require 2 gallons a piece.. so you shouldn't divide anything smaller than 5. 1 gallon is okay temporarily but they can't live full lives in that either. They'll only live 2-3 years as opposed to their 5+ year potentail

If you can't afford to give them each their own space you need to take one back...

What is the temperature? It needs to be 78-80F so unless you keep your house at 80F+ they're too cold too.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is the reason that you can't get another tank right now due to space limitations, or financial considerations? If you can tell us that, people may be able to give you some suggestions on various options for safely housing your two girls.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lethargic, not moving, not swimming, response to stimulus, two bettas