Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhaiitslily View Post
Okay, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more like, I don't expect to have them live more than 5 years. I don't have the money or space to get an extra tank. I want to keep them alive as long as possible seeing as that's what makes me happy right now. I went back to the pet store 3 times yesterday since I didn't have everything they needed, and that was still almost too much.
What did you get during those three trips? The 'minimum' you need would be:

a) Tank (one tank per fish, unless you could get a large enough tank to put in a divider so they'd be able to share the tank).
b) Heater (one per tank)
c) Water conditioner
d) Pellet food

Things that you do NOT necessarily need include: gravel, a filter, an aerator, decorations. (We can tell you how to get or make inexpensive decorations and hiding places.)

Also, the smaller the tank, the more water changes you'll need to do.

But again, it's not safe to house two Bettas in a one gallon tank.....

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #22 
ohhaiitslily

I don't have any Tupperware or anything that's larger than a pint, basically. And I don't have any lids or anything that will work, and don't suggest that I not use a lid, because my cat would eat them instantly.
ohhaiitslily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #23 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry if I come across as rude or too blunt but it gets a little frustrating when someone asks a question, its answered & the person seems to not want to listen. The bottom line is you have options & it is your choice which way to go. Multiple females under the best of conditions are iffy, they can turn ugly at any moment. I have 12 females in a 46g with lots of plants & some structures & I still have females that stand off with each other, there is always at least one that has a nipped fin. So to have 2 in such a small space as yours is even trickier & will most likely result in one getting very bullied. Petsmart will take back the fish as much as it pains me to say return one at least she'd have a chance at a proper home.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #24 
LadyVictorian

I agree, it isn't fair to the fish to force them to live in a dangerous situation. Honestly at how they are living you might as well not have a lid for them to be cat food because you are playing with the same fate. I am shocked and appalled petsmart didn't explain this to you when you purchased this setup, my petco won't let you buy two females together unless you intend to keep them in separate tanks or understand how to build a proper sorority.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #25 
ohhaiitslily

I got a tank, conditioner, food, a net, a couple decorations (to allow the fish to hide from each other only) gravel. I was told that filters should be avoided, and heaters are unnecessary. I was also told (at every single source I looked-- I searched thoroughly-- that two females could be housed together. I knew it would be difficult, plus with a 1 gallon container, frequent water changes were necessary, but I read tons of things about no males together or males with females but I checked everywhere and two females were alright. Again, a larger tank or another tank is absolutely not an option.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #26 
callistra

I have no idea what sources are telling you to put 2 females together in a 1 gallon bowl but I've never read such thing.. you are getting sound advice here. You do need a heater. They do need to be separated. They do need 2 gallons a piece, but 1 gallon is okay for a short time if you keep up on water changes. I could point you to dozen, if not hundreds which tell you this, but it's all at your finger tips too, but you have to be able to evaluate your source.. The internet has lots of contradicting and false information on it. Sorry to be blunt but there's no other way to say it.. if you leave them together in that one gallon bowl they will live shortened lives, be constantly exposed to ammonia and likely turn on each other one day.

The choice is yours. I hope you make one in the interest of the fish and not in your interest to be entertained by having two to look at.

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #27 
ohhaiitslily

Please don't be so harsh on me. I literally have NO TIME to go to the pet store for at least 3 more days ( no exceptions) petco didn't mention it, I even asked them if it was okay and they said it was fine. I checked EVERYWHERE and they all said two females was the only okay option.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #28 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm done. Good luck.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhaiitslily View Post
I got a tank, conditioner, food, a net, a couple decorations (to allow the fish to hide from each other only) gravel. I was told that filters should be avoided, and heaters are unnecessary. I was also told (at every single source I looked-- I searched thoroughly-- that two females could be housed together. I knew it would be difficult, plus with a 1 gallon container, frequent water changes were necessary, but I read tons of things about no males together or males with females but I checked everywhere and two females were alright. Again, a larger tank or another tank is absolutely not an option.
Personally, I would return the net, decorations and gravel. And then I would buy another 1 gallon tank and two heaters (one for each tank)....

If you can't do this, then as others have suggested, I'd recommend returning one fish. It's not safe to keep two Bettas in a 1 gal tank - they're just too territorial.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #30 
LadyVictorian

Females can only be kept in groups of 4-5 in a 10+gallon, whoever told you 2 females in a 1 gallon was alright clearly needs to go back and finish high school because they had 0 common sense. Until you can pick up another tank even just keep the other girl in the cup you got her in to avoid deaths in the next three days.

If you don't do this TRUST ME you will have to spend a LOT more on medication to treat injuries and possibly one will die which either way means you wasted money so why waste money on having them die or spend more for medication?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lethargic, not moving, not swimming, response to stimulus, two bettas