Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #11 
breeglet

Okay... let me explain the timeline a little better. Friday afternoon I got him from my LFS. When he was acclimating in the baggy he seemed to do some spastic swimming about as if curious. When he got put in the tank he was shy and instantly went into a corner (still does this only more by the heater now, even caught him hiding behind the filter but haven't seen him near it since I added the baffle Sunday evening). I noticed he was resting in weird positions like head-down or sideways from Friday onward. He seems to alternate from upright to sideways. Since removing the frog Sunday night, I came back Monday morning and he had made a couple bubble nests and stays at the top now. When he rests sometimes he is upright, sometimes he is on his side.

I have pure/plain epsom salts lying around here from when I used to do bath salt crafts... if I can't find them they are always like $2 at the drugstore, no big deal. I've been meaning to put together a betta first aid kit, just have been comparing prices for maracyn 1&2 first (I'm starting to burn through the money I set aside for new tires... anything for pets though, right???)

If anything I would say he has perked up a little bit, if only because I see him in different areas of the tank from time to time, whereas before he would only move if something disturbed him. It's just now I'm starting to think SBD is amiss.

I will add on more when I am back from my hair appointment. :)
breeglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #12 
breeglet

Um ok. I came back to my dorm now with the 2g bowl (forgot to grab my old desk lamp for the plant light... le sigh)

I checked on Pascal and he moved to the other end of the tank in an area where I could get a couple good pictures of him:

image 1

image 2

I know I said he was a doubletail, but looking at pics on google makes me think the fish store rep was mistaken idk; his tag read butterfly but someone told me he was both.

Now I'm starting to think when I saw him on his side it was because of the way he was propped against the heater, this just looks like slumping..
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #13 
MistersMom

Callistra, you're very smart and informative, but you need to quit jumping on people, be kinder about things, maybe then, they'll want to listen. A PM would have been the best place to smart off to him/her. Even in some of my threads about ill fish you've smarted off,came off like you thought you were better than me, i doubt that's how you meant things to sound, but when typing you've got to be very careful. It's easy to cause fights and arguments when you don't know exactly what they meant by typing something.

We love your knowlegde on Betta fish keeping, but it gets a little offensive sometimes..... :) So, maybe akinder and not so blunt approach to things may help?

Sorry if i came off rude.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #14 
MistersMom

And yes he is a Double tail, he looks pale and to have fin rot, AQ salt for fin rot, and What ever Callistra says about the other possible illnesses, is most likely correct.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #15 
breeglet

I thought that was just his fins being clamped. :T They weren't like that the first day I brought him into the tank. If you're referring to the small tears in his bottom tail, that's where the frog that got taken back to the fish store bit him...

image Here was a picture I took of him when he was still acclimating in the baggy.

I've got my bowl set up with my heater now. Looking at the betta bowl heater I had in my 5g, I was surprised it was doing as good as it was for such a tiny thing.. forgot it was that tiny! I've got to eco-complete in and I'm thinking of using a bit of substrate & java moss for seeding material since I won't have a filter for a while... One was recommended to me by a betta breeder for small tanks and it's coming in the mail (I wouldn't feel comfortable having plants without some kind of flow to disperse ferts, apparently this has low flow that is betta-friendly).

Just gave power to the heater in the bowl a few minutes ago. Water is in and is at about 80. Buuut... just noticed the area I placed it has a draft so now I have to do some fancy work and rearrange my printer to accomodate space.. Am I supposed to just acclimate him and plop him in tonight? It seems weird without letting it cycle or at least setting up a bamillion plants and a filter...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #16 
MistersMom

LOL, acclimate him for about 30-45 mnutes, adding a little bit of water every 10 minutes... or you could do it the risky way, wich has alwas worked for me, and let him sit there in his cup in the bowl for 10 minutes, then take the lid off aand tilt the cup toadd water so the fish will swim out... O.o
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #17 
breeglet

I don't have a cup, this is happenin' baggy style. Or maybe some tupperware, lemme see if I have any small enough for the top... I'll put a windelov in there with the java moss so it doesnt look so sparse, plus bacteria on the plants always helps. Will get AQ salt wednesday if not tomorrow (sort of stacked day tomorrow). And to think I almost bought some yesterday....

Edit: Do I add epsom salts if I'm unsure he has SBD? He just kind of has weird positions and he doesn't look bloated.

Last edited by breeglet; 01-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #18 
twolovers101

Be careful with the tupperware, if it's been used with soap (like for washing) then I wouldn't use it with a fish. I got some cheap tupperware cups from walmart and marked them all for fish only so I don't accidentally wash them xD

Using a baggie is fine though if that's all you have... as for his condition...
I don't see much physically wrong with him other than being super skinny, a tad pale, and clamped. In my experience they will usually color up once the environment is stable and warm. The epsoms won't hurt him if he doesn't have SBD, but it will help in case he does, so better be safe than sorry :) If there's nothing other than that bothering him, he'll unclamp in a few days most likely.

I'm sure you got this already, but make sure you're feeding a good quality, high-protein food for him to buff up a bit. As he is, it's normal to see them resting on things because it's likely that he's rather weak because he's so skinny.

I'm sure he'll be VERY pretty once he colors up and gets a bit stronger :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #19 
MistersMom

Go ahead. and do the same thing with the bag that you would with the cup..
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #20 
breeglet

Haha I've never had to use a cup, they use baggies at my LFS (though the bettas are KEPT in cups, they just don't go home in them). I know how to acclimate. I am wondering though, should I add the epsom salts all at once now so that I can acclimate him to the resulting pH, or add them over an hour's course as callistra suggested? It seemed he meant that for if the fish was already in the bowl.

Also the temp in the bowl dropped from 80 to 78... I'm thinking that even in a smaller tank this bowl heater isn't going to do better than before, which means it will probably sit at.. well I dunno. The betta heater used to keep my 5g at 78 until cold weather hit.