Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #11 
PaulO

Also if you have used either of these in npt's and fish were not poisoned or harmed please state that as it would be monumentally usefull to my question. Just to make sure would I ideally want tue organic choice miracle gro organic SOIL or MIX?!!
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #12 
PaulO

Never mind I just read on a different forum how these both have TONS of fertilizer...errghh ... I will make the trip to Armstrong tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the organic stuff but which am I getting? Organic potting mix or soil?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #13 
carbonxxkidd

I used Miracle Grow ORGANIC Potting mix in my tank, the orange bag.

I've seen others on here using that too, my NPT has only been set up a week but I have some plant growth already. Thinking that's a good sign.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #14 
efg321

tried and true seems to always win Good Luck!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #15 
PaulO

Thank you carbon kid, is that the soil you are using in that funky 29 gallon tank of yours? I looked at a few pics and it looks amazing and maybe just a little bit jealous . Well now the fun will be finding a place that sells this stuff .
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #16 
carbonxxkidd

No, the 29 gallon has eco-complete. This 5.5 gallon (August's tank) has the miracle grow organic potting mix capped with Petco black sand:

I got my potting mix at Home Depot. I know I've seen it at Walmart before too, so they probably have it pretty much everywhere. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #17 
jjposko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
Never mind I just read on a different forum how these both have TONS of fertilizer...errghh ... I will make the trip to Armstrong tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the organic stuff but which am I getting? Organic potting mix or soil?
You can use either the potting mix or top soil as long as it doesn't have fertilizer in it. I am using top soil... some use potting mix. As long as you set up the NPT correctly it shouldn't matter.
jjposko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #18 
PaulO

Well I have been spending the past 30 minutes on the phone and computer and miracle grow organic potting soil and mix have turned up squat. However I did talk to an Armstrong garden that was farther away than the one before (closer Armstrong shut down). The lady recommended these soils but I don't know if i can use any of them (god it's such a pain too find these things, 1st world problem :P).

http://www.ebstone.org/12_bonsai.php

http://www.ebstone.org/12_cactus.php

http://www.ebstone.org/12_african.php

Could I use any of these and if so which would be the best nutrition for my plants. Thanks

-Paul O

P.S. I already checked Walmart and home Depot...I even called my Lowes. The only people that have organic soils are the Armstrong gardens that is over 7 miles from where I live :/. I just need a confirmation on at least one of these soils so we don't wast time and gas.

Last edited by PaulO; 01-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #19 
acadialover

Maybe you are making it a little more complicated than you need to, but I know when you want to do everything right. My lowes only had ONE organic soil as it is winter time.
it is ORGANIC and that is all I cared about. MY most important task was to get the right lighting and the right plants.... I'm on my third week and everything is growing allot !!!! I got the fish, snail, and shrimp, plants , and set it all up one evening !!
Followed the exact directions OLF gave...
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

yep :) all you need to worry about is capping it and planting it properly and also giving it proper lighting. Im using topsoil mixed with potting mix from my garden. I never really cared, especially since I'm setting up my tank in Australia and there is no such thing as miracle gro here anyway...

So this is my tank right now...

ao is offline   Reply With Quote