Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #11 
Sixwolf

A lot of people think bettas are just throwaway pets. >:T They have so much spunk though. People who don't get it just make me disappointed.
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #12 
majesticstorm

Rain's marbling again. His fins are almost completely blue, along with his body (except his face, the little piebald guy :D). I gotta say, I liked it when he had more white on him, but oh well, I still love the guy to death. I suspect that the change in the water quality/pH is what's causing him to be more blue than white. I'll keep this theory in my mind the next time we go home (which is in about 5 months, hahaha). I'll post pictures later.

His finnage has gotten longer so I suspect that it's weighing him down. He used to be so active when he didn't have so much finnage. He's still active now, but he likes to rest his fins on top of the decorations a lot more than he used to.

On a more amusing note, today Rain pooped right as he was yawning. My eyes popped out when I saw it. He opened his mouth really wide, gills flaring and everything and then "plop" his poop came sinking down XD.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #13 
majesticstorm

My friend just came in to look at Rain. Made jokes about putting another betta in there to fight them. I gave him a good hard smack each time he said it >:]
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #14 
majesticstorm

Within a week, Rain has changed from the picture in my first entry to this:

He's such a nice blue, but I kind of wish he still had some white on his body (excluding the face). I've accepted the fact that the last bit of his dorsal probably has somewhat of what I call "the crowntail effect" since it's been over a month, and there has been minimal regrowth in that area while his other fins have grown nicely. I think it's a nice quirk.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-16-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #15 
majesticstorm

Freeze-dried bloodworms

So today I fed Rain freeze-dried bloodworms for the first time. I was debating on whether to feed the freeze-dried bloodworms or freeze-dried daphnia, but didn't quite figure out how to feed the daphnia, so I went for the bloodworms. Opened my container of Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms and didn't realize how badly they smelled. But anything for your fish, right? I got half a bloodworm and soaked it in some tank water and was surprised that the water turned a bit rusty colored. I put the worm on a q-tip and brought it down for Rain to jump and snatch it. I didn't realize how vicious he can be. He got the q-tip, thrashed about and got the worm. I was worried that he ate some cotton, but let's hope not. The second worm, he didn't quite get, so it dropped and floated onto the water. He got it, but I observed that he spit some stuff out (probably bits of the worm that he couldn't chew/eat). But yea, his first experience with bloodworms. I'll try daphnia next week, wish me luck in figuring out how to feed THOSE little things to him.

I also wanted to talk about aquarium silicone. It's like "where have you been all my life?!" Sure, it's all black and has a weird smell, but it's pretty amazing stuff. Plugged up the hole in my terra cotta pot so Rain won't get too curious and get himself stuck in there. I also use it to make the markings in my bucket so I can tell how much a gallon is. It's so versatile; I could probably use it to make aquarium decorations with pebbles and stuff if I had the time. But that's not the best thing. The best thing is that when the silicone at the opening of the bottle dries up, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! It's like a rubber plug, all you need to do is take it out (and it's pretty easy, by the way), and the silicone inside is perfectly fine for you to use. I found this out because the cap of my silicone cracked, so I was worried that the silicone would be all dried up and I won't be able to use it (like super glue), but when I unscrewed the cap, I saw the amazingness that is aquarium silicone!! I'm sorry, but I'm very excited about aquarium silicone right now, hahaha.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #16 
majesticstorm

I spoil him way too much...

So my order of silk plants and light timer came in the mail today. The silk plants are by Hagen Marina, and based on first impressions, they look like they are much better quality than the silk plant I got at petsmart for 3.99. But I should expect that since I paid twice the amount for these plants. The plastic parts are very smooth and I could tell right off the bat that they wouldn't snag Rain's fins. Plus, the silk looks really nice and lifelike. I can tell that the leaves won't get frayed for a long time (as opposed to the Petsmart plant, which is already starting to fray, and it hasn't even been a month!). I placed two out of the three new plants into the tank (the third one is to replace the petsmart one once it's frayed beyond repair).

So far, Rain seems to approve of the new plants, and I think he'll be more comfortable and stop tail-biting since there's more covering and the big pennywort plant seems to block out a lot more light. I was debating on whether or not I should take out the plastic bamboo, but I think I'll keep it since Rain seems to enjoy swimming through the leaves (and his fins haven't been torn/snagged yet).

Oh, and when I was redecorating the tank, I held my hand really still close to the surface because I was curious about how Rain would react with my hand. I thought that it would be cute if he swam into it...but noooo. He kept nipping at my fingers because he thought there was food, the little stinker! XD

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #17 
majesticstorm

Caught him in the act!

Yup, he's tail biting. I was doing my lab report when I saw him swim up to one of the broad leaves. I think he was trying to get off, but his tail was in the way, so he tore his tail up. :( I saw bits of his tail floating down...and the thing is, HE ATE IT. I quickly rearranged the leaves so it won't happen again...but right now I'm on the verge of ripping my own hair out! Guess there'll be a double dose of stress coat in saturday when he gets his water change...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #18 
majesticstorm

Water change day!

So I did a water change after I finished all my classes. My roommate came in while I was in the middle of it and joked about my "high tech fish technology" aka the water siphon XD. I'm getting used to vacuuming the gravel without actually sucking gravel up. You should've seen my first attempt last week. Didn't realize how wonderful a bare bottom tank was until I kept sucking up gravel and getting the hose clogged up.

I did a double dose of Stress Coat so that his tail will heal quickly. Also changed the IAL. In addition I took some gravel out because I found that I only had at most 4.5 gallons in my 5.5 gallon tank due to all the gravel and decorations. Moved the decorations around so that Rain can do some exploring. He looked so precious with his head peeping out of the pennywort plant, but the second he saw me whip my cell phone out to take a picture, he swam out of there as fast as he could XD. He seems to really like the addition of the new silk plants, and I like them too cuz I get to see him weave through the leaves.

He seems to pay more attention to the moss balls now, to my delight, but mostly to the tennis ball-sized one. He likes to swim up and rest right next to it, or on it, or sometimes he just likes to stick his head underneath it and stay there, all still.

I also got the light timer all set up, and so far, it works wonderfully! Rain seems to have gotten used to the new light too.

Oh, and I'm suspecting that Rain's been trying to eat the aquarium silicone that I used to plug up the terra cotta pot. He goes inside and sometimes I see movement like he's nipping at something =.= Why are bettas such pigs?

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-18-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #19 
majesticstorm

Salt treatment

So I got some input from the awesome people on this forum, namely Callistra and AyalaCookieJar and have started AQ salt treatments on Rain since he might have some parasites. Got some tank water and added the salt in and then slowly mixed the solution in with a turkey baster. As I added it in, Rain was really curious and kept swimming through the salt water that was coming out of the baster. He's still flashing, but hopefully he'll stop.

His tail seems to be healing already, to my delight.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #20 
majesticstorm

Either my thermometer's bad, or my heater is...

So I wanted to increase the temperature in the tank to 85F, slowly of course. Currently, my heater is set to 83F, but my thermometer says it's only 80F...so either the heater can't get it up, the thermometer's not reading correctly, or the water's not circulating enough so the warm water's just around the heater...sigh.