Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #1 
Zoetrooper

(Un)Photogenic

So I have been trying my hardest to take a picture of my new betta. He's extremely aggressive and has a habit of flaring at everything that moves and everything that doesn't move. On top of that he doesn't like staying still. My girlfriend pointed out that he was strutting about his nice clean tank and I went to take a picture. His fishy senses tingled and immediately knew what I was attempting to do and ruined my every attempt at getting a decent shot.

-_-

No, I don't antagonize him or cause him to flare, he just does. At everything. Well, at least this one is better. Sort of.

What I really wanted to capture was the tiger stripe pattern on his dorsal fin, unfortunately this is the only good picture I could get of his stripes.

Zoetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #2 
jls0459

I love the coloring on his fins. Such a pretty boy!
jls0459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Best way to get pictures of betta's is to put them in a square vase that holds roughly around .5 gallons depending on size so they don't have much running space. I have little tanks for just that once I start breeding :D

And you think that is bad, every time I try to take pictures of my vt he poos xD NO JOKE.

Your boy is very beautiful though.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Haha, most people WANT their fish to flare for pictures, especially the breeders/showers. Flaring is a very natural behavior for them, especially if they are healthy males. Of course each betta is unique, and some flare a lot while others hardly ever flare.

If you think he is flaring too much, make sure he can't see his reflection as he will think this is another betta. Very nice looking boy you have their!

Oh, and one more thing, be very careful with the betta hammock as the wire inside can become exposed. Not only can it rust, but one member actually lost their fish because he cut himself open on it! :(
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 
Zoetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls0459 View Post
I love the coloring on his fins. Such a pretty boy!
Why thank you. I picked him because he had a little bit of orange on his fins at the store and I have always wanted an orange betta, but it seems to have turned more red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Best way to get pictures of betta's is to put them in a square vase that holds roughly around .5 gallons depending on size so they don't have much running space. I have little tanks for just that once I start breeding :D

And you think that is bad, every time I try to take pictures of my vt he poos xD NO JOKE.

Your boy is very beautiful though.
I'll have to try that, I have a little house I put him in while I clean his 'bigger' tank. He tends not to strut as much in there though.

And that's funny! Also highly unphotogenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Haha, most people WANT their fish to flare for pictures, especially the breeders/showers. Flaring is a very natural behavior for them, especially if they are healthy males. Of course each betta is unique, and some flare a lot while others hardly ever flare.

If you think he is flaring too much, make sure he can't see his reflection as he will think this is another betta. Very nice looking boy you have their!

Oh, and one more thing, be very careful with the betta hammock as the wire inside can become exposed. Not only can it rust, but one member actually lost their fish because he cut himself open on it! :(
I just want a picture of him with his fins poofed out all pretty, but it's like he photobombs himself. I had a couple other photos too that I was a little weary about showing because I thought people would get angry or say that I was making him flare.

I don't have a mirror, and if I keep the tank light and my light on he doesn't see his reflection. If I turn my light off he can, so I try to avoid that. He does seem to enjoy watching me work on my tablet though, giving me the occasional flare even when I'm just looking in his direction.

Here's a good one as I was trying to get a close up shot, my gf says he's pretending to be one of the flowers. >,>

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #6 
Shadyr

A Bouquet Of Bettas! I like it

My son's betta is like yours. He flares at...everything. Very reliably!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #7 
Laki

Wow, nice photos!!
My old blue VT Lakitu was the same way :) I'm digging that orange on his fin!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #8 
Rin9

LOL That first pic cracked me up! I would have one of those pics as my avatar if he were mine. He is VERY cute!
Rin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9 
Zoetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
A Bouquet Of Bettas! I like it

My son's betta is like yours. He flares at...everything. Very reliably!
Awesome. What type is your son's betta? Basically everyone has said VT, which makes me wonder if they are more aggressive then the other types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Wow, nice photos!!
My old blue VT Lakitu was the same way :) I'm digging that orange on his fin!
Thanks. I thought he was the prettiest one there. He must think he is pretty too, the way he's strutting around in there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin9 View Post
LOL That first pic cracked me up! I would have one of those pics as my avatar if he were mine. He is VERY cute!
I'll consider it. Still looking for that perfect shot of him strutting with his fins all poof tastic.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #10 
efg321

Your matching signature photo is very appealing as well. Of course not as good as the real thing but very realistic!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote