betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #11 
Rin9

dang...your orchid CT is epic...
Rin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #12 
veggiegirl

Thanks guys,

For a long time all the pet/fish shops in the area only supplied your basic veiltails and crowntail in the usual blues and red etc (even though I think they are all lovely) however as I get further in to the betta keeping I was disappointed that I was unable to obtain more fancy varieties locally. Fortunately I started asking the petshops would they ever get the fancy varieties and they began to stock them just for me because I was buying quite a few back then.

I always wanted to get a pure black/black orchids or pure white betta though and the petshops could only get onto them for huge amounts of money, I was already paying upwards of $50 for the other fancy varieties and just could not afford to pay any more than that being a struggling (financially) student and all. A few months back however I could not believe my eyes when I came across secret in a petshop. At the time I was 'having a break' from the fish and only had my two old bettas left. Should have known though despite initially telling my self 'no more' I was back a week later buying secret and of course planning to go in for one I left with two, I bought berry too because big ears were not available previously either and I could not resist. Buying those two got me back into the bettas again and I will hopefully have around 10 soon.

I found Eclipse about 2 months ago, I didn't know what to do, I thought he was beautiful but already had a black betta (secret) and was looking for something different however I could not go past the fact that he was black copper and butterfly so bought him too.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #13 
Fishybitty

Beautiful, that crowntail kinda creeps me out! haha
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #14 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Fishybitty, lol yeah secret kind of reminds me of a giant black spider, I am not fond of spiders, but I love Secret
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

Beautiful! Secret has some very amazing fins! He looks mysterious, haha. What a great name, too ;)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #16 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

yeah I think secret suits him, I named him that because he is really shy but also matches his mysterious looks
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #17 
Zoetrooper

Ah! Wow. Secret's fins are simply amazing.
Zoetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #18 
veggiegirl

Hey guys,

I have some bad news, I was really upset to discover this morning that Secret seems to have the beginings of dropsy

A couple of days a go he seemed a bit off (was lethargic and lying on the bottom of the tank gasping). He seemed to improve over the next day or so but then yesterday all of my bettas seemed to have an adverse reaction to the malachite green I was treating them with. Desperate I did a couple of emergency water changes and this morning they all seem much happier.....except Secret he seemed unwell lying on the bottom gasping again. I just couldn't work it out his appetite is good and he still flares at the betta next door occasionally. I noticed by chance however that his belly looked very full and then it clicked..... I looked from above and can see very slight scale protrusion around the belly. It is really hard to see because he is so dark black in colour but it is there...... I am so down about it. I really love Secret and he is not that old maybe a year at the most....

I have never had a betta survive Dropsy..... the best result I have achieved is that I got a betta with Dropsy to survive with dropsy for about 6 months.... he was always a bit unwell and depressed though and I had to give him almost constant anti-biotic treatments. I felt it really only prolonged his death and in the long term not sure it was the best thing for the fish. He got really bad after 6 months of constant treatment and died despite it.

Now I feel totally helpless about Secret, I don't want to lose him but I can't help but feel it is inevitable. Not a good day
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #19 
Skyrocket Moon

D: I know I'm helpless with shark too really bad dropsy on him and espom salt just seems to make him worse. Now all I can do is watch him and keep his water clean.
IT is so bad to only be able to watch a beloved fish go.
q.q
Skyrocket Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think those are the biggest "ears" I've ever seen on berry! And secret has awesome color and fin reduction. Not much I can say about eclipse, he's just perfect! Ant that blue butterfly is awesome, even coloring and solid, deep blue. I like sky or Skye or ske or something because its like the sky with clouds haha.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote